[Ambassadors] Fedora NPO

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Feb 18 17:42:31 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> Are you using the Fedora trademark? If yes, then, you should get the
> permission from the trademark holder to do so for an NPO. The trademark
> holder is Red Hat. The body which gives permission for the Fedora
> trademark usage is the Fedora Board.
>
> Now, I would be happy to talk to Red Hat Legal on your behalf and try to
> clear this as quickly as possible, but I want to make sure that you guys
> have all your possible stumbling blocks out of the way so that this
> doesn't get yanked back immediately.
>
> If you're not using the Fedora trademark in any way, then you shouldn't
> need this, and you can ignore me.

I'm sure we all know why it matters; We've had an "OK, go ahead" from
the Fedora Project, but we haven't got any response from Red Hat Legal
to the inquiries we made.

Let's just say that it'd be hard for them to argue we cannot use the
trademark when on the other hand when we asked it didn't seem to have
all that much priority or importance. And that is besides the trademark
being used by those who build the brand to begin with. Anyway, as
legally and practically are two completely different things still, we'd
appreciate if you'd attempt to get them to answer whether or not we can
expect trouble.

Then there's the question of whether we use the trademark or not. I'm
thinking using just "Fedora" in the name is already considered "using
the trademark" isn't it?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip