[Ambassadors] Fedora Local Language Spins

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 19:33:28 UTC 2008

Em Dom, 2008-02-24 às 22:00 -0500, Max Spevack escreveu:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Johan Cwiklinski wrote:
>
> > It will be cool to officialize this method for localization of live
> > spins. Could we achieve a procedure for submitting localized .ks files
> > based on official Fedora live cds ?
>
> One of my goals for the year is for us to have localized spins at every
> event that we attend.
>
> This involves:
>
> (1) Getting kickstart files that are approved, have good package sets,
> and are updated for the current Fedora release for each event that we go
> to on the Fedora Events wiki page.  Consistency here is very important.
> I think we should use the work that Rahul has already been doing, and
> simply expand it out to French, German, Spanish, Italian, Brazilian
> Portuguese, etc. etc.

I am interested in a Fedora Spin for Brazilian Portuguese, but there are
a few things I am concerned about.

For instance, the use of Codeina. It doesn't make sense here in Brazil
because people should have an international credit card to pay for the
codecs, besides the interface is not even translated. This is critical
to warn the users about the use of this codecs.

The easiest solution is to drop codeina from our spin, the other one
could be offer a different implementation respecting each national
legislation about IP. I don't have the legal background to talk about
it, but we could investigate the possibility to offer via Codeina those
codecs that are not possible in the US. Additionally, other local groups
could investigate if there are problems with the current implementation,
there may be countries more restricted than US.

I know this is very complex and controversial, but I am just thinking
about the possible scenarios and just for distribution in events.

The translation issue could we solved integrating Codeina into the
Transifex system, since it does not appear to be available in the GNOME
project translations as well.

Local Language spins are definitely a good idea and we could improve it
respecting the local differences, which by the way turns it in a more
complicated issue.

Regards,
Igor Pires Soares