[Ambassadors] Speaking engagement at Northeastern University report

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 00:47:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> I've just returned from a speaking engagement at Northeastern
> University here in Boston MA., USA.  This was for the ACM students,
> Association of Computing Machinery.
>
> Even though it was midterms time, we had a good 30 students show up
> for the talk.  I started with a quick history of Linux and GNU and a
> brief outline of what makes a Linux distribution.  I then went on to
> compare and contrast some of today's popular Linux distributions,
> going over package management, init systems, governance models,
> commercial/community aspects, etc...  I then went further in detail as
> to what makes up Fedora, and why I feel that Fedora is a very strong
> project to contribute to.
>
> After that I did about 30 minutes of question and answer.  Many good
> questions were asked, such as what is RH/Fedora's relationship with
> CentOS, how do we compete with Ubuntu, what return on RH's investment
> in Fedora is there, how does the Fedora work make it's way into RHEL,
> what is RHEL's release model, and a few other things.
>
> All in all I think it was a very good engagement.  The students were
> very knowledgeable and interested.  Many expressed interest in getting
> more information, and potentially interning or otherwise contributing
> to Fedora.  Every student picked up a Live CD of Fedora 8 as well.
>
> I hope to do more things with Northeastern in the future.  They have a
> very cool program and some very neat students.  Linux is slowly making
> it's way into their infrastructure, mostly led by student efforts.

Sounds like a great event, Jesse.  Sounds like a really good "intro to
linux and open source with a fedora focus".  Did you have slides?  If
so, could you make them available.

Thanks for writing this up -- I really like the fact that we're getting
more Event Report activity on this list.

I haven't checked Fedora Planet in the last while, but maybe you could
post there too, if you haven't already?

Thanks,
Max