[Ambassadors] idea for *every* event

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 03:41:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 13:25 -0500, Max Spevack wrote:
> Here is a proposal for two activities that we should have at every
> event.  In particular, I'd like to see us do it at FOSDEM, FISL, and
> LinuxTag:
>
> (1) A "join Fedora" station.  Somewhere at the booth, there is a
> computer or laptop with a sign on it that says "come here to join the
> Fedora Project" or something like that.  There is one person whose job
> is to talk to folks, get them interested in Fedora, and help them to go
> through the CLA and WikiEditing process.  The success metric is simple:
>     * Did the person leave having set up their Fedora Wiki homepage?
>     * Did the person become a Fedora Ambassador?
>     * Does the person have some idea of what they might like to
> contribute to Fedora?
>     * How many accounts were created at the event?
>
> (2) A "bring us your USB key, and we'll turn it into a Fedora LiveUSB
> key for you" station.  Same idea as above.  We have a computer that has
> several Fedora Spins on it.  People bring their USB key, and we run the
> livecd-iso-to-disk tool and set their USB keys up as Fedora LiveUSB
> keys.  Again, the metric is simple:
>     * How many were created at the event?
>
> Thoughts or comments?

I love these ideas. Here are some stream of consciousness thoughts that
I have around this:

* Could we make a simple application (web based or otherwise) that makes
the "join Fedora" station really easy? In fact, this seems like an ideal
initial target for My Fedora integration. This would also enable us to
get better stats, automagically.

* Maybe we could also have a application front-end for liveUSB creation,
showing the ISO spins in a directory and showing the USB keys that it
sees plugged in, then has a nice GUI "making USB key" with progress bar.

Old-world model: Each region gets a machine specifically dedicated to
these tasks.
New-world model: Every machine at an event can perform either of these
tasks.

~spot