[Ambassadors] Fedora Belgium

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Fri Feb 29 17:41:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Frederic Hornain wrote:

> Does someone could explain me what is the procedure in order to create
> an official Fedora entity -association- for Belgium as my French or
> German friends did ?
>> From a Fedora point of view, of course.
> I would need your feedbacks.
>
> Max if you could reply to my previous mail I would appreciate. THX.

Here is what I think, very honestly.

The French team was way ahead of the game, and got themselves organized
long ago.

Now we have a Fedora EMEA NPO (that just so *happens* to be a German
legal entity).

I think that the Fedora EMEA NPO has always talked about how it wants to
be inclusive of *everyone* in Europe, and I think that it should be.

If we start having a bunch of different organizations for each country,
it will:

1) create a lot of paperwork

2) make the European Ambassadors feel like a bunch of splintered
organizations instead of one solid team

3) destroy the larger sense of Community throughout Europe that I think
is the most compelling thing about Fedora Europe.

So I would ask you:

Why do you feel like we need yet another organization?

What would a "Fedora Belgium" organization do that the larger Fedora
EMEA organization can't do?

To me, the critical path seems to be:

1) Ensure the success of the Fedora EMEA NPO as an entity that serves
*all* of Europe.

2) Continue to ensure that Fedora France has resources.

3) Make sure that everyone thinks of themselves as part of the Larger
Fedora European community.

A *legal entity* is not a community.  It is just a means of getting
stuff done.

We must all think of ourselves as part of the same big team.  I don't
think we should be forming any more legal entities.  I think we should
be making sure that the ones we already have are serving the *entire*
community.

--Max