[Ambassadors] EMEA: Preliminary Statutes

Gerold Kassube gerold at lugd.org
Mon Jan 21 21:13:34 UTC 2008

Hi there :-)

again me, sorry by answering all the mails even late; but at work, I
have no possibility to do private things like answering mails :-)

Am Sonntag, den 20.01.2008, 20:26 +0100 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:
> red_alert wrote:
> >>>

> >> Like Gerold already suggested too, this is a maximum contribution fee
> >> the NPO can request from it's members, and maximums are often high. I
> >> would not expect to see this maximum reached, ever, but from a legal
> >> point of view the NPO must have /a/ maximum. So you choose one that is
> >> not insanely high, but will also not limit you for many, many years to
> >> come. Money devaluates over time and given that the General Members
> >> Meeting must unanimously agree on raising or lowering this maximum,
> >> having to do so every 5, 10 or even 20 years would become a problem
> >> for any organization.
> >

> > Ok, that's the reason in favor of such a high amount. Are there no
> > contras then? I know that in some countries the maximum fee is important
> > when it gets to liability but AFAIK this is not the case in Germany (at
> > least not with an e.V.). Something else to consider?
> > ...if not, I'd say 1,000 Euro is fair.
^^
Imagine, the first meeting can`t decide due a lack of attendees; on the
second meeting there are only five members; the President and four other
and they want to have the annual membership price increased to 10.000
Euro. And the vote is done by 3:2 so the vote is done and law and you
have to pay ....
Ok, it is a very abstract voting, but it could happen and if you have
such a amount in the statutes with a amount of members which have to
vote to CHANGE such things ...
it can`t happen like above described ...

> Well, imagine what it would look like if we said 3 billion is the
> maximum contribution fee. I'm not sure that would be accepted by the
> German Financial Department (so there's a contra). As I'm not German
> though maybe Gerold is in a better position to give you the proper
> answer ;-)
>
> > What initial fee are you going to propose at the formation, anyway?
> >

> We -anyone- can propose and reason for any amount of contribution fee,
> the trick is to find one the others agree with. As the Statutes
> describe, the contribution fee is a General Members Meeting's
> responsibility (2/3 majority of votes cast required -should these
> Statutes be accepted) -which is probably going to vote on what the board
> (to be elected still) proposes. So far the initial pseudo-official
> response to your question.
>
> Now in more general terms; There is of course the "minimum" contribution
> fee that makes a person become a "regular" member -this would be the
> mandatory fee.

^^
Because of my Linux Usergroup is a computer "NPO" we decides to have a 2
expotential amount ....
in our case we pay 2 exp. 11 == 1024 == EUR 10,25 per month :-)
Just for example

regards
--
Gerold Kassube <gerold at lugd.org>