[Ambassadors] thinking about the mentor program

Wed Jul 16 01:19:26 UTC 2008

Dipanjan Chakraborty wrote:
> The case with my college is that they want somebody from Fedora to
> approach them officially. Susmit is working on that. And I am sure he
> will come up with a solution soon.

By 'officially' if you mean in the same fashion as any software
development company in your local area approaches the college, then it
might be sometime before we arrive at a process for that. Susmit is
still at the initial stages of a discussion around the issue.

> No doubt certifications will be an incentive. But are there enough
> projects for the undergraduate level students? We must work on this point.

We can't work on 'this' point till we arrive at some sort of conclusion
as to how much pre-loaded with knowledge the target students are. Have
they been doing a variety of thing around OS or applications ? If yes,
then they are easily pointed to various projects (rather, I'd argue that
in this case they would be the ones coming up with various projects).
 From whatever my limited comprehension of the education system and
colleges is, this isn't the case (in India) in a majority of the
colleges in India. On the fedora-india list there is an ongoing
discussion about how best to ramp up the skillsets of the potential
candidates participating in this program. A large part of that is being
inspired by what is happening on #dgplug and its IRC classes. Perhaps
you'd like to latch on to that thread.

As we stand now, we are trying to roll a program for an audience about
whom we don't know much, and barring the 'we'd like official contact'
nothing much is known about the authorities who would accept this program.