[Ambassadors] NA Ambassadors Meeting Log 2008-07-22

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 29 15:49:35 UTC 2008

I want only to point out some things:

2008/7/23 David Nalley <david at gnsa.us>:

> [21:53] <ke4qqq> iWolf: we want to let Karlie and Co. handle
> distribution and mfg of all NA media
> [21:54] <ke4qqq> we'd like to have FAMSCo pay her directly
> [21:54] <herlo> ke4qqq: when did we say we wanted that to start? F11?
> [21:54] <ke4qqq> we'd like to have it so that individual ambassadors.
> can order.
> [21:54] <ke4qqq> I thought F10?
> [21:54] <herlo> okay, that's fine, can't recall.  F10 it is
> [21:54] <ke4qqq> but I am worried about lead time - we have ~3 months left.
> [21:54] --> Sonar_Gal has joined this channel
> (n=Andrea at adsl-074-171-066-196.sip.aby.bellsouth.net).
> [21:54] <Karlie> that's not a problem
> [21:54] <iWolf> so far CD ordering has been one of those blackboxes,
> famsco sets money aside and then rh guys do it.
> [21:54] <Karlie> we could do it in a month
> [21:55] <herlo> iWolf: we want to change that!
> [21:55] <ke4qqq> iWolf: I know - and that makes us go around FAMSCo to
> RH - which is a loser.
> [21:55] <ke4qqq> not that we don't like RH - but it undermines the
> community and the organization
> [21:55] <herlo> we shouldnt have to rely on max and greg every time we
> need something...
> [21:55] <iWolf> herlo: :) , sorry, that was meant to say, there are
> more folks than just me that need to work that change through, not
> that it can't be done.
> [21:55] <ke4qqq> iWolf: you're the only FAMSCo member who showed up

Sorry I missed the point. Are you talking about the CD ordering? We
have discussed about it both in the list and in some of our meetings.
That doesn't mean that FAmSCo doesn't take care of this topic, as
FAmSCo we are focused on helping community and trying to simplify the
Ambassadors life. Sometimes it requires time and sometimes it doesn't
work perfectly, we are here to learn from our mistakes and if we have
done something, we will try to repair our lacks. Personally I ask
every FAmSCo meeting if there is a specific issue and I'll try to do
my best trying to reply to the core M-L topics, many times it works,
some times fails, so, don't see this as a neglect action, but as a
"bug".

> [22:19] <-- gregdek has left this server ("Ex-Chat").
> [22:19] <herlo> gregdek: tx
> [22:19] <iWolf> inode0: events that need money at this moment would
> come through famsco.
> [22:19] <iWolf> inode0: if an ambassador just needs ideas or help with
> an event they can come to famsco.
> [22:20] <ke4qqq> inode0: but really we want to be the ideas and help
> people not FAMSCo (I think)
> [22:20] <iWolf> inode0: though, now that you guys are running, we
> would likely just faciliate getting an NA ambassador in touch with the
> regional ambassador for mentoring.
> [22:20] <iWolf> ke4qqq: +1
> [22:20] <ke4qqq> I don't want to 'task' FAMSCo (guys who are mostly in
> EMEA) with telling us how to run an event
> [22:20] <ke4qqq> though we could certainly sit at their feet and learn plenty.
> [22:20] * inode0 doesn't feel at all entitled to lend Fedora's name to an event
> [22:21] <ke4qqq> *waves a sword over inode0's shoulders
> [22:21] <iWolf> inode0: do you have a specific example?  I think you
> probably have more "power" than you realize.
> [22:22] <ke4qqq> consider yourself ominus dominus-ed.

FAmSCo is mainly composed by EMEA members elected by the whole
community. Personally (I'm sure everyone in FAmSCo) I'm working
independently from my country, FAmSCo is focusing on Ambassadors
global/local challenges, we demonstrate it and I think you can trust
us. FAmSCo people won't to teach you how to run an event, but if it's
needed help Ambassador following the right way: we share our knowledge
and we learn from your feedback and from your events. What I can say
is that from a FAmSCo perspective is easy to see in a wide range and
that make FAmSCo a trustworthy platform to manage the community.

FAmSCo is working on the localization, that means that the local
knowledge base will be enhanced by local ambassadors and it will
became the first resource for local ambassadors, like the local
events/activities management. In that way, I'm happy to see what NA is
doing and I agree completely in the way you are following.