[Ambassadors] Custom printed USB flash drives for schwag/sale

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:51:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:15 -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> Hi Matt!
>
> I think RH had a number printed up for the last RH summit or FUDCon.
> That being said - it looks like we'd be talking 10-12 dollars for a
> 1GB USB drive replete with logo based on my 5 minutes with Google if
> we ordered several hundred.
> But please attend the meeting and bring this up.

That figure agrees with what I saw when I did some market research
before.  So weigh 10-12 dollars vs. 1.60-2.50 for a Live CD and you can
see that the production cost really only makes sense if you sustain the
stock through selling these rather than giving them away.  (Red Hat
printed up the ones at the Summit, Fedora didn't pay for them -- if we
had, we would have wanted them to be blue!)

This might make sense from a Fedora Store perspective, if stock could be
returned for resale should the event not deplete the entire stock.
There's also the matter of trademark licensing to consider, but that
could probably be worked out I think.

--
Paul W. Frields