[Ambassadors] Self Introduction

John Taber jtaber at plandecsys.com
Thu Jul 31 16:24:08 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I run a strategic planning consulting company (city/traffic/land
development) using intelligent systems that I have developed over the
years.   I also run a company that will be shortly launching a web
service for the above.  Have a wide range of experience especially
throughout the transportation industry.

I'm also an adjunct professor and looks like I'll be teaching some entry
level and AI courses this year.

Been running Linux since 1998 and switched our company to it full time
in 2000.  Find it lame when most companies (especially big ones) say
they can't or it's so difficult to make the switch.  Albeit there's a
few exceptions - engrs use Autocad - but even some of those firms are
using Samba with RH servers.

I do our web development now in Python (but also speak Ruby/Rails, PHP,
Java ).  All our graphics are in SVG and I am a strong advocate of SVG.
We use Inkscape a lot so I help out each year at SCALE with the Inkscape
project and give presentations on it at user groups.

I also evangelize Linux/Open Source where ever I go.  I keep reminding
customers why they need open source (choice of options, features (like
built in pdf, cd burning, backups, ....) upgrades, tech support).  At
hotels when I see business people struggling - I tell them about how we
run on Linux and how they can too - then I suggest a dual boot system
and give them a CD.  At a bookstore I got a college student running
OpenOffice on her Mac when I overheard her complaining about cost - a
week later she was thrilled and telling her friends.

Active with several local user groups (Utah Open Source, Python, Ruby,
PHP).

I hope to work with Fedora on college student initiatives - maybe act as
some sort of Faculty advisor.   I also hope to make more presentations
to business groups on open source.  Maybe coordinate CIO/CTO breakfasts,
whatever.

--
John Taber, Ph.D.
PlanDecSys, Inc.