[Ambassadors] FAmSCo IRC Meeting Log - 2008-06-04

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 4 21:53:20 UTC 2008

HTML version of the log is here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meetings/2008-06-04

Raw log is here:

<fabian_a> FabianAffolter
<iWolf> JeffreyTadlock
<spevack> [[MaxSpevack]], taking a page from quaid
<fugolini> FrancescoUgolini
<kushal> which meeting is this ?
<iWolf> kushal: famsco
<spevack> fedora ambassadors steering committee
<kushal> oops
* AndreasR (n=medic at 80-218-138-117.dclient.hispeed.ch) has joined
#fedora-meeting
<fugolini> AndreasR: roll call time
<AndreasR> AndreasR
<fabian_a> AndreasR aka AndreasRau ;-)
<AndreasR> AndreasRau
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> Agenda:
<fugolini> 1. Release Party Contest
<fugolini> 2. Budget
<fugolini> 3. Membership
<fugolini> 4. Local Situation
<fugolini> 5. Rules
<fugolini> 1. Release Party Contest
<iWolf> !
<fugolini> iWolf:
<iWolf> I posted the email to the list summing up all the links to
release party reports.
<spevack> i saw it.  good stuff.. francesco and i talked a bit on list.
<iWolf> we've had some comments it that thread.  We are going to vote on
the mailing list, so use this time now to discuss whoe the winner should be.
<iWolf> and we can do a mailing list vote later this week as we come to
a consensus.
* iWolf will add to that thread as soon as he gets a chance
<iWolf> eof
* spevack has changed the topic to: FAMSCo meeting
<spevack> well, i gave my comments on list, so i'll save folks time and
let them just read it there.
<spevack> rather than repeat myself here
<spevack> but i do want to say thank you again to iWolf for organizing
<fugolini> me too
<iWolf> spevack: yeah, I was sort ofsaving my comments for the list as well.
<iWolf> spevack, fugolini thanks!  it's been fun!
<spevack> so, what should we discuss here?
<spevack> and do we want to give ourselves a deadline for final decision
on list?
<fugolini> i'm waiting for comments from the other members
<iWolf> a deadline would be good.
<fugolini> spevack: i think friday 20.00UTC
<fugolini> would be a reasonable deadline
<fugolini> eof
<fabian_a> +1
<spevack> fine with me
<AndreasR> +1 should work
<iWolf> +1
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> Next topic: 2. Budget
<fugolini>
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Budget
<fugolini> max has done a great review of the following event
<fugolini> spevack: have you something to say?=
<spevack> ah
<spevack> budget
<spevack> well, the page really should speak for itself
<spevack> here's what i am thinking in general
<spevack> i am glad that we have some buffer built into Q2
<spevack> stuff always comes up, and we have money to support it
<spevack> also, i am always looking for ways to save money.
<spevack> there may be a *tiny* but of money left
<spevack> after fudcon
<spevack> which can be added to our general events pool
<spevack> so by the beginning of july, the picture for the rest o fjuly
and august should be pretty clear
<spevack> I think we need to spend about $1000 on swag for the US
<fugolini> in the other continents?
<spevack> one moment...
<fugolini> *countries
<fugolini> oh, sorry
<spevack> the money for US swag will come out of individual budgets.
<spevack> for example
<spevack> ottawa linux symposium wants swag
<spevack> and we have some money for OLS
<spevack> $500
<spevack> so when we order swag, we'll use tha tmoney for it
<spevack> since there are no travel costs for OLS
<spevack> does that make sense to everyone?
<spevack> we're taking money already budgeted for several shows in the
same region
<spevack> and pooling it together to make swag at a better price
<spevack> then distributing it
<fugolini> +1
<iWolf> spevack: makes sense to me.  cheaper to get the swag in bulk
than smaller orders.
<spevack> I want to do this in Europe too, probably using the company
that Gerold and Joerg have been using for stuff.  we'll see.
<spevack> so what questions about budget do you guys hve for me?
<spevack> I'm happy
<spevack> because i feel like
<spevack> the budget on that wiki page
<spevack> was more or less what famsco suggested
<iWolf> spevack: did quaid mention
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events/Lindependence_2008 to you?
<spevack> and i am just making sure it happens.
<spevack> so the power is in famsco's hands
<spevack> iWolf: i saw it on th eevents page
<spevack> do we want to vote to give it some budget?
<iWolf> a vote would be good.  I know it was added late, but hopefully
there is some $$ left for it somewhere.
<fugolini> hhave you a suggested request?
<iWolf> fugolini: I have not heard an actual dollar figure being requested.
<AndreasR> !
<fugolini> AndreasR:
<spevack> quaid: ping
<AndreasR> first we should ask them if it is needed and how much is needed
<AndreasR> eof
<spevack> well, we'll see if quaid pops his head in and then we'll ask
<spevack> until then, what else on budget?
<spevack> are you all happy with the way we are managing our budget?
<AndreasR> !
<spevack> you saw my summar to ambassadors about the events we did in Q1?
<spevack> AndreasR: go ahead
<AndreasR> are the requestors satisfied with it... :)
<AndreasR> I am fine.. cause we have some left
<AndreasR> eof
<spevack> AndreasR: i haven't heard any complaints
<RodrigoPadula> hello guys.. sorry, my laptop is crazy!!
<RodrigoPadula> now.. i'm here again
<spevack> and Red Hat was very happy with the way we managed things.
<spevack> fugolini: what do you think, as famsco chair?  are you happy
with the way we do budget?
<fugolini> I absolutely agree with this one
<AndreasR> I am happy, too :)
<iWolf> I am also happy with how the budget has been done.  seems to be
working well.
<fugolini> it's the easiest way
<fugolini> and most productive way
<spevack> great, well if quaid shows up, we'll ask him what he needs for
lindependence.  and if not, i'll mail him.
<AndreasR> +1
<spevack> EOF for me on budget -- if you guys ever have any comments or
suggestions, please continue to give them
<RodrigoPadula> !
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula:
<RodrigoPadula> hi guys
<RodrigoPadula> i'm very happy with the budget support
<RodrigoPadula> i think we are making good things arround the world
<RodrigoPadula> now, i'm improving the local community in LATAM
<RodrigoPadula> probably we will have some news fedora events here in
the nex 6 months
<f13> I have to say, the images and such from LinuxTAG were incredibly
impressive.  I'm blown away by what you guys put together.
<RodrigoPadula> and on the next  year
<RodrigoPadula> so, probably we will need more support to LATAM
<spevack> f13: thanks, dude.  the core linux tag team is really amazing
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<AndreasR> +1
<spevack> f13: since you're here
<AndreasR> thx
<spevack> f13: mind if i rope you in for a moment?
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula: invite everyone to add their event in the
event list
<RodrigoPadula> yes
<fugolini> *everyone in LATAM
<RodrigoPadula> today we have a meeting
<RodrigoPadula> i will sugest it to all ambassadors
<RodrigoPadula> it's the way!
<spevack> f13: as someone who is a consumer of events budget and
ambassador stuff, but not necessarily involved in it day to day (as you
spend your time making sure we actually have something to talk about!),
how do you think we're doing?
<spevack> ok, let's move on.  quaid and/or f13 can jump in at any point.
<spevack> but we have more agenda topics
<spevack> and we're already 30 mins in
<fugolini> ok, any questions?
<fabian_a> not from my side
* spevack sent quaid a mail about lindependence
<fugolini> perfect!
<fugolini> 3. Membership
<fugolini> We had a discussion in the list
<fabian_a> !
<fugolini> ok, fabian_a
<f13> spevack: sure.  I'm here.
<spevack> fabian_a, fugolini: can we give f13 one or two mins?
<spevack> then get back to membership?
<fabian_a> sure
* spevack yields to f13
<fugolini> np
<AndreasR> yes
<f13> From what I can tell, you guys are doing a fabulous job making
sure that the attended events have the good stuff to use.
<fugolini> f13: feel free
<f13> the planning is great, the material is great, and it seems to be
getting put to good use.
<f13> also I think it's being done in a very responsible way, in that
you're not just dumping a ton of swag on somebody who's not prepared to
make good use of it
<spevack> f13: that is definitely one of our operating principles... any
suggestions for improvement?
<f13> spevack: honestly I don't think I really have any at this time.
<spevack> f13: well, cool.  if you do, you know whree to find me
<f13> indeed
<spevack> f13: bathrobes for the US?  :)
<f13> disturbing
<AndreasR> :)
<spevack> f13: you know you want to see spot in a bathrobe.
<spevack> anyway..... well thanks for your time, jesse.  back to the
meeting then?
<spot> what?
<AndreasR> :))
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> fabian_a: you can continue
<fabian_a> kital is helping with the ambassadors group
<spevack> spot: we're just having some fun :)
* spevack listens to fabian_a
<spevack> !
<fabian_a> We started with some tracking with the help of a gobby session
<fabian_a> Joerg sent the data to all who are interested
<fabian_a> But at the moment it's a pain because there was a break in
the approval process after Thomas decided  to quit
<fabian_a> During LinuxTag I approved many many new ambassadors.
<fabian_a> Today I got a message that there are 43 pending requests for
the ambassadors mailing list.
<fugolini> i personally approved three ambassadors, just after i
received their personal email
<RodrigoPadula> !
<fugolini> spevack:
<fabian_a> next time we should move things like membership services
smoother because if there is a break it's much harder to continue
<fabian_a> eof
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula:
<RodrigoPadula> i would like to be responsible by LATAM ambassadors or
be responsible by interview them
<spevack> i just want to make sure that we have enough people on the
membership area of Ambassadors to get everything done, *and* more
importantly, that the people doing it have enough time.  if we need to
recruit a volunteer to help us, we shouldn't be afraid to do that
<RodrigoPadula> how can i see where are they from ?
<spevack> it is a good chance for someone to take a new leadership role.
<spevack> but if we have enough manpower, then i'm happy
<AndreasR> +1
<fugolini> !
<RodrigoPadula> i would like to guide all LATAM ambassadors
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<fugolini> i think everyone could accept everyone
<RodrigoPadula> -1
<fugolini> I don't know if you read my proposal about
<fugolini> but the requirement
<RodrigoPadula> the ambasadors needs guidance!
<AndreasR> !
<fugolini> would be only: 1. Presentation letter 2. Bad action agains member
<fugolini> but we need to discuss it in the gobby section
<fugolini> with everyone, RodrigoPadula you are welcome in this way
<fugolini> write an email to Joerg
<fugolini> AndreasR:
<fabian_a> all requests goes to ambassadors-sponsors at fedoraproject.org.
all of you should see who is requesting membership in the ambassadors group
<AndreasR> I agree with Max opinion.. it is important for them to grow
up.. and it would be bad if the guardiance is up to one role
<fugolini> in fact, as i've said we have to use the same
<AndreasR> we should give other ambassadors a way to do this
<AndreasR> eof
<fugolini> rules than package group
<RodrigoPadula> why not by region ?
<fugolini> i think there are experienced persons
<fugolini> that could afford this duty
<RodrigoPadula> i'm responsible by the ambassadors on LATAM
<RodrigoPadula> and others by NA, APAC, EUROPE
<fugolini>  the problem is that we have to guarantee a open process
<RodrigoPadula> so, we can guide directly any new ambassador
<fugolini> and not to risk that anyone could say we are closing our group
<iWolf> RodrigoPadula: I don't think anyone thinks you aren't
responsible.  We just wasn the barrier to being an ambassador to be low
and more of a global standard.
<RodrigoPadula> yes
<iWolf> RodrigoPadula: and there is nothing that keeps you from guiding
a new ambassador.
<spevack> RodrigoPadula: you are one of the most responsible and
accountable guys we have.
<spevack> RodrigoPadula: believe me, if we didn't believe in you, we
wouldn't just hand you cash ;)
<fugolini> +1
<iWolf> +1
<RodrigoPadula> in brazil we have a problem
<fabian_a> +1
<AndreasR> +1
<RodrigoPadula> if the system is totaly open
<RodrigoPadula> in two months we will have 1000 ambassadors
<RodrigoPadula> but the number of realy ambassadors will be the same
<RodrigoPadula> we dont need names on the site
<fugolini> I think we have to use the existing system
<RodrigoPadula> but ambassadors interested to be a REAL COLABORATOR
<fugolini> nobody remembers we have a pending period for newbie ambassadors
<fabian_a> RodrigoPadula: Add your input to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService#Membership_Check
<iWolf> collaboration happens in many, many ways though.  We should be
open to volunteers who are offering time they do have.
<RodrigoPadula> ok
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula: try to invite people in the first month
<spevack> iWolf: +1
<fugolini> if you see someone isn't "live" you could use the power
<fugolini> established by our rules
<RodrigoPadula> IMHO to be a volunteer, they dont need be a Ambassador,
but, to be a Ambassador they need to be a real colaborator
<RodrigoPadula> to me... Ambassador is a important title
<fugolini> I think we could continue this discussion in the releated
thread (Membership)
<iWolf> fugolini: +1
<RodrigoPadula> and the person with this title, have to work
<fabian_a> check
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService#Membership_Check
<fabian_a> 7. Send an self-introduction to the Fedora Ambassadors
Mailing list. Tell the world who you are, what your are doing, what you
will do, and so on. We would also like to know what you want to archive
inside the Fedora Ambassadors Group. Please do this within the next four
(4) weeks.
<fugolini> Now, we are creating a sponsor group
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<fugolini> maybe we could organize a meeting
<fugolini> where we discuss about all those stuff and then we will write
a proposal
<fugolini> after FAmSCo will approve it
<iWolf> fugolini: i think the mailing lists work better for this type of
discussion.
<fugolini> iWolf: just because Joerg isn't a FAmSCo member
<fugolini> to have a open discussion with all the sponsors
<iWolf> fugolini: we can CC him if we want, I have no problems with him
being in on the conversation.
* iWolf is biased towards mailing lists for lengthy discussion
<fugolini> Only a technical question: it's possible to connect both the
M-L request and FAS ones, because the approval process is so confusing
<fugolini> but if someone has an answer
<fugolini> please write it in the membership thread in the list
<fugolini> eof
<fugolini> Any other question?
<spevack> fugolini: i think it would be worth having a technical
discussion with some of our infrastructure folks, probably at fudcon
* spevack will take that action item
<fugolini> great
<fugolini> Just because i tried to fill the requests but it's really
difficult to understand this
<fugolini> Next topic: 4. Local Situation
<fugolini> We just discussed bout some critical situations
<fugolini> Have you other ones
<fugolini> I read about LATAM meetings
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula:
<fugolini> requests?
<spevack> i think that if we can get NA and SA meetings straightened
out, we'll be in good shape
<fugolini> I think it's important to have a great leadership in LATAM,
and i think Rodrigo is doing this jobe great!
<spevack> i am very glad that Rodrigo is taking charge in SA
<spevack> /SA/LATAM
<spevack> and greg and i have been talking about NA
<spevack> if I may be honest
<RodrigoPadula> thanks
<fugolini> iWolf: i've read the past meeting log, great
<spevack> half of me wants to ask iwolf to do it, but another half of me
realizes that jeff is already doing a huge amount, and thinks that it is
CRITICAL that we continue to cultivate new leaders
<spevack> and let the current leaders help show the way
<RodrigoPadula> my mission in this year is spread fedora and create
local groups in all south american contries
<fugolini> spevack: +1
<spevack> so iwolf, that's a compliment :)
<spevack> just wanted to make sure i expressed myself properly
<spevack> speak of the devil
<fugolini> lol
<iWolf> spevack: I agree, I am reluctant to commit to running each
meeting, but I do have time to help get them organized and help a new
leader get going with it.
<iWolf> spevack: thanks again for the compliment.
<spevack> iWolf: ok, i'm glad we're on the same page there. ;)
<hpachas-PE> RodrigoPadula: si se va crear nuevos lideres en sur
america, seria bueno comenzar en hablar español (que es el idioma que
mas hablan en sur-america )
<RodrigoPadula> the language is a big problem to the LATAM
<fugolini> In europe we have a lot of ideoms
<RodrigoPadula> hpachas-PE: si Hernan, yo estoy organizando las
reuniones para resolver esto!
<fugolini> but we recognized enlgish as the default one
<fugolini> efo
<fugolini> Ok, can we move on?
* iWolf needs to go to a T-Ball game
<RodrigoPadula> fugolini: here all neighbors only talk spanish and
portugues ;-)
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<fugolini> Rules
<fugolini> Just to point you in the wiki page
<fugolini> fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Rules
<fugolini> or something similar
<fugolini> sorry if we are late
<fugolini> ops
<spevack> shall we make Rules topic #1 next week?
<spevack> so we don't run out of time.
<fugolini> ok
<spevack> don't want to make iWolf late
<fugolini> it's better for me, too
<fugolini> Thank you to attend the meeting
<iWolf> sounds good to me!
<spevack> fugolini: Thank you for leading this meeting.  AndreasR,
fabian_a , RodrigoPadula , iwolf, thakn you all for coming!
<iWolf> fugolini: thanks!
<fugolini> == Meeting adjourned ==

--
Fingerprint: 2F6C 930F D3C4 7E38 6AFA 4EB4 E23C D2DD 36A4 397F

Fedora always leads and never follows.