[Ambassadors] About registering domains

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Fri Jun 20 12:33:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:51:51PM +0800, John Chendra wrote:
>    I'm planning to build an online community of fedora users in Indonesia.
>    that simple :)
>    I've been an ambassador about 3 years or so, but my sin to confess is I've
>    done so little to promote fedora in even my own city. All I have done is
>    take part in FreeMedia program, delivering some free dvds around.
>    So this is my first (or second) move, forming a community of fedora users,
>    where users can interact and help each other. This is a big task for me
>    since I've so many offline duties in other parts of my life, but if I
>    don't do or die trying to do it now, maybe it would be too late for me
>    later :P
>    I've already own a group in google called id-fedora, but it's still empty,
>    would you join in Adarsh?
>
>    Regards,
>    John
>    --
>    http://john.chendra.net

Can you build this community using the existing Fedora
not?

While I absolutely encorage local and regional groups, the first step
should not be to register a domain and set up your own
infrastructure.  I'd like to see Ambassadors contribute to the Fedora
Infrastructure group, working on adding enhancements and features that
will directly benefit both your local groups, and the Project as a
whole.

Imagine if fedorahosted.org, or the asterisk, or the wiki, or the
download services, all were replicated (differently) by many teams
around the world.  A huge amount of effort and duplication, at what
cost (even if borne by the Ambassadors themselves), but with limited
geographical (thus contributor) reach.  Lots of work, little gain.

So please, consider using existing Fedora Infrastructure resources to
further the goals and outreach of your local teams.  If this proves
impossible, please advise the Infrastructure team on the services need
that aren't present, and then help get them created and maintained in
the Infrastructure team.

Thanks,
Matt
(who speaks only for himself, but is an active member of the
Infrastructure team.)