[Ambassadors] Self-introduction of Lcafiero

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:07:06 UTC 2008

Hello, all --

Allow me to join the parade of new ambassadors introducing ourselves.

My name is Larry Cafiero, and most of my pertinent information can be
found at my wiki page here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Lcafiero

In short, I am a journalist by profession, currently a copy editor at
the Santa Cruz Sentinel in Santa Cruz, California, U.S.A. I am a
returning student at Cabrillo College in Aptos, California, studying
in the Unix/Linux Administrator Certificate program. I am currently
the president of the Cabrillo College GNU/Linux Users Group.

I consider myself a FOSS evangelist after finding out about -- and
using -- FOSS programs during my campaign as the Green Party candidate
for California Insurance Commissioner in the 2006 general election
(270,218 votes, 3.2 percent). I have been a GNU/Linux and FOSS program
user ever since.

I used to be a distro-hopper, but I started using Fedora regularly
while working on a project to convert dbEntrance, a FOSS browser for
MySQL, from Macintosh to GNU/Linux. I found Fedora covers all the
bases -- to use a baseball metaphor -- and it has everything that any
one could want in a distro. As such, it represents GNU/Linux best of
all distros currently out there.

I look forward to working with Karsten Wade, another ambassador who
lives nearby in Santa Cruz, in promoting Fedora. Most immediately, I
am involved in the Lindependence 2008 campaign, which introduces
GNU/Linux and FOSS to the town of Felton, California, with the
intention of having them go "Microsoft-free" for one week in late
July, as well as another effort by the Cabrillo College GLUG to
convert charter schools in Santa Cruz County, California, to Fedora.

If you have gotten this far without falling asleep, thank you.

Larry Cafiero
lcafiero at fixedbylinux.com