[Ambassadors] Re: Student partnership program. Extending fedora mentor program to students.

Ankur Shrivastava ankur at ankurs.com
Fri Jun 20 15:58:16 UTC 2008

"""""hi Ankur Srivastava,

Im sorry but youre not aware of the fact that your script did also fail at
some places..Plus it was a completely offline install which meant that the
software it installed was outdated quickly.. have you updated it?? Is a new
script available?? Just makein a script isnt enough.. Also giving people a
script to set up their system is not the right way of doing things.. Why you
spoon feeding them?? Help them .. its a different matter altogether.. How
many people know how to install ndiswrapper manually?? not any of the ones
who used your script.. "what is modprobe".. do they know?? During the
install fest i was busy setting up my laptop without your script..I did
everythin myself.. from ndiswrapper to compiz-fusion.. and i learnt tons in
the process adn came across a lot of resources that i can use.. that is what
we are talking about here.. "how are people going to learn??" ..

What i suggest is to help people by sharing your knowledge on  the already
available applications as well as the internals..

please refrain from personalized comments here.. its an open discussion..
you can email me personally as sanjay_ankur at yahoo.co.in for that..

regards,

Ankur"""""

i know i should have send you the mail personally, i am sorry for that but i
need to answer your question for all one by one

Q1 - Im sorry but youre not aware of the fact that your script did also fail
at some places???
ANS - I tested the script around 6 times by doing a fresh Fedora Install (
and applying Updates) on my Laptop and if it didnt worked then y didn't you
tell me if i was not aware of it, you were you should have told be that this
sort of problem was there

Q2 - Plus it was a completely offline install which meant that the software
it installed was outdated quickly
ANS - As you know that the script was made for LUG Manipal's Install Fest so
as to help people have a basic setup of Fedora available with them (
preferably in dual boot mode ), so that they can learn about a world about
the propertery softwares. and as we were not by any chance able to provide
all the 50+ people with Internet connection ( as the only support we get
from College is a place to meet and nothing else ) we had to go for a
Offline script (and also we knew how long will it take them to download form
the net at the speeds that we get at our rooms)
regarding Updates- updates till Jan First week were included in the script
and install fest was in jan end so it was only a few weeks old and if you
have used it you must have noticed the first thing it asks you to do is to
Update your Kernel
Q3 - have you updated it?? Is a new script available??
ANS - Yes i update my script in mid Feb when i came to know about an issue
with some KDE packages and in newer Kernel 2.6.24+ 2D support for our card (
ATI 1250 ) is there so that wont be a problem any more

Q4 - Just makein a script isnt enough..
Ans - i agree with you that is y we took many workshops like Managing and
using Linux, LAMP, PHP etc....

Q5 - Also giving people a script to set up their system is not the right way
of doing things.. Why you spoon feeding them?? Help them .. its a different
matter altogether.. How many people know how to install ndiswrapper
manually?? not any of the ones who used your script..??
ANS - if giving script was not the right way then what was.
As you are aware that our Lappy's config ( with ATI 1250 and brodcom 5312 )
is not what one will ask you to use linux on, at that time xorg will crash
on ATI 1250 leaving you in the command mode ( which was not good for making
there concept clear that linux is not all command line ) and Brodcom 5312
module which does not have any working Linux driver, because of which they
had no net and as there is (mostely) no LAN and all WiFi do you expect first
timers to search for all stuff download all dependencies etc
about how manny people know howto install ndiswrapper i will give you
example of one guy Shoumen, He had only heard of Linux before he got it from
one of my friend and now he has more knowledge about ndiswrapper and kernel
modules then most of people you know, i installed Fedora and Ubunu in his
lappy, spoon feeded him dont you think so

Q6 - During the install fest i was busy setting up my laptop without your
script..I did everythin myself.. from ndiswrapper to compiz-fusion.. and i
learnt tons in the process adn came across a lot of resources that i can use
ANS - its very good to hear that but dont you think that you should have
been there at that time or any other workshop which we( LUG Manipal )
conducted, if not attending but helping us, sharing resources that you have
discovered with all other people, helping them?????

Let me ask you one thing now that you have learned so much how have you
contributed back to it, i have installed Linux on 100+ people's PC/Laptop's
and more then 20 use it regurely dont you think you should do something,
simply saying that this has to be done, that needs to be done wont help, you
will have to come out do something and  I hope now that you know all this
you will help it progress further......

sorry again for spamming this topic, I wont be posting to this topic anymore
but only be reading this, feel free to contact me on my mail
Thank you
Ankur Shrivastava
ankur [ at ] ankurs.com