[Ambassadors] EMEA Membership Questions

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:06:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 13:53 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> > Please take this just as a question: So far this discussion was between
> > europeans (plus Max). The founders of EMEA are all europeans (and Chitlesh
> > who is AFAIK still living in Europe).
> > So the height of the fee might be decided based on european living standards?
>
> We did not look at what a person would be able to spend, at all. It has
> never been about the number of members, or getting everyone to join us.
> Your involvement already serves us plenty. And besides, as we could not,
> and did not want to, request or require people to join, the membership
> fee is a donation - not a purchase of the right to chime in, because you
> have that already.
>
> The first proposition for a member fee was 10,24 EURO/month. Everyone
> agreed. I suggested it would be simpler to take 128 EURO/year, and
> everyone agreed. Vote passed.
>
> Imagine the membership fee would be 10 EURO/year. To transfer that
> money, you would have to pay at least that same amount of money. That, I
> think, does not give anyone the impression the money is getting where
> it's supposed to get. Bad idea.

Here's how I see the issues thus far:

* Fedora EMEA e.V. was set up to allow a group of people to sell schwag,
collect charitable donations, and so forth, in support of Fedora Project
activities in EMEA.

* Membership in Fedora EMEA is not and should not be required for
anyone, including Ambassadors, to get support from Fedora EMEA.  And all
the statements I've seen from Fedora EMEA support that.

* Fedora EMEA operates under the Fedora name by permission of the Fedora
Project and Red Hat, Inc., who own the FEDORA trademarks.

* Financial accountability is required by the trademark license grant,
and although the exact details of financial reporting have yet to be
worked out, this will happen by the direction of the Fedora Project
Board.

* There are more questions still hanging, and the meeting around
LinuxTag is where they should be asked and answered.  The Fedora EMEA
group is an exciting development which is still new, and there's no need
for people to get discouraged by things like membership fees, in light
of the above points.

I'm looking forward to meeting with the Fedora EMEA folks in Berlin in a
couple weeks when we can resolve a lot of the remaining questions and
ensure that all the constituents and their needs are well represented.
Thanks to everyone for your help in doing that in a positive,
constructive way!