[Ambassadors] EMEA Membership Questions

JoergSimon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 12 17:36:53 UTC 2008

Am Samstag, 10. Mai 2008 22:32:52 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> We talked for more than a hour,
> in the end Gerold was late for work but he still did not manage to ally
> my doubts.
> On the other hand I wasn't able to expose my problems to Gerold, so I'm
> going to outline my concerns once more, maybe somebody else will be able
> to meet them.
> I'm not sure if I will become a member of the NPO. I'd love to but for
> now I can ultimately say: I'm not going to spend 128 EUR a year for the
> EMEA. Why not?
>      1. I'm already spending a lot of time on Fedora: I'm maintaining
>         nearly 50 packages, I'm doing artwork, going to Linux events and
>         so on.
>      2. It's not that I cannot afford another 128 €, but for me FOSS is
>         not about money in first place but about community and working
>         together

Working together in a Community, that is absolut the point!
A Ambassador who is not present make no harm to the Project and is no
Problem - Members in the NPO can slow us down - even can make us
inoperative - if they not contribute regularly.
We need hard working Members and not people who participate only to be in the
NPO, get Travel Costs and Hotel Rooms payed. The fee is a clear statement to
work in the NPO to serve the Fedoraproject. And there can not be a conflict
because FESCO, FAMSCO ... - are the rulers, the NPO serve the Fedoraproject
for their needs - and must Report it quarterly.
It is really easy to abuse the work of much active people, without
constructive suggestion for a solution.
We live meritocracy, be sure if there are People who do valuable contributions
and can not pay the fee we will find a Solution, maybe Sponsors for them. If
you ever had really worked with the Community of Ambassadors you would know
that!

Happy Whitsun
--
Jörg Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688