[Ambassadors] Best choice for DVD CD 9 give away

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Fri May 16 18:48:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:12:26PM +0200, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> 2008/5/13 Baris Cicek <baris at teamforce.name.tr>:
> >

> > According to smolt statistics[1] PPC consists only 0.4 % of the total
> > installations. If we bases smolt statistics as decision basis it should
> > be:
> >
> > 750 x i386
> > 250 x x86_64
> >
> > Though I think x86_64 architecture should have more media.
>
> There are still many people using PPC, i think burn 50 of them, could
> help people who are still using a obsolete system to use Fedora.
>
> That's my perspective.
>
> Francesco
>
> p.s. i've two PPC pcs and i'm using F9 on both machines.

No one is denying that there are some ppc Fedora users.  I sure hope
there are, for the efforts the ppc architcture team and
release-engineering put into it.

However, producing media costs money; producing pressed media for
small batches (e.g. 50) costs more per-unit than producing larger
batches (~1000).

A quick look at the number of Unique IP addresses downloading Fedora 9
media this week shows:

ppc:     4201  ( 2.6%)
x86_64: 37074  (23.0%)
i386:  119845  (74.4%)

So, a split of 75% i386 and 25% x86_64 seems entirely appropriate to
me, and a good use of the money.

If Ambassadors wish to burn ppc media themselves to bring, they are of
course welcome and encouraged to do so.

-Matt