[Ambassadors] EMEA Membership Questions

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon May 19 07:31:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> We have Ambassadors from all these countries and all these people will
> have to pay the same amount of money. Do you really think you will be
> able to attract members from Africa or the Middle East this way?

I know that I keep chiming in on the side of this thread, but once again
I must say that from my perspective as a Red Hat employee whose
full-time job is to build community throughout EMEA, I am not at all
interested in collecting any sorts of fees from people who are members
of the Fedora community.

When the idea of a Fedora EMEA e.V. was first proposed to me, the reason
that I supported the idea was because it would be useful to have a legal
entity, not Red Hat, that was organized and working to promote the
mission of Fedora throughout EMEA.  I think it is also an interesting
experiment in community empowerment, and a good next step for the larger
Fedora Project to try.

Fedora EMEA e.V., if you ask *my opinion*, should be trying to raise
money from third parties, and not from the current Fedora community.  A
peson does not need to be a "member" of Fedora EMEA e.V. to be a member
of the Fedora community in Europe, Africa, Middle East, or anywhere.

Again, I speak only for myself, and from the viewpoint of someone who is
tasked with thinking about the overall health of the Fedora community in
EMEA, and in also making sure that the financial situation of Fedora
EMEA e.V., whatever that situation might be, is handled transparently
for the community, the Fedora Board, and Red Hat to all make the most of
it.

--Max