[Ambassadors] FAmSCo Meeting - IRC Log 2008-05-21

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 21 21:46:32 UTC 2008

HTML version of the log is here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meetings/2008-05-21

Raw log is here:

<fabian_a> 1. 2nd Quarter Budget (see Jeffrey mail and sheet)
<fabian_a> 2. Release events status (+ RE contest)
<fabian_a> 3. Ambassadors Project status
<fabian_a> 4. Rules and more (just a reminder for everyone at FAmSCo)
<fabian_a> 5. Wiki migration
<fabian_a> 6. t.b.d.
<iWolf> I can cover budget, if people want.
<fabian_a> do we want to start now?
<jmbuser> +1
<iWolf> +1
<MrTom> let's go
<fabian_a> ok...where is Rodrigo?
<fabian_a> iWolf: please start with budget
<iWolf> Okay....
<iWolf> Max updated the spreadsheet i created earlier in the week, we
come in just under the $12,000 USD.
<iWolf> Everyone should have the spreadsheet in the email Max sent.
<RodrigoPadula> i'm here!
<iWolf> Everything on it looks good to me, I think we (famsco) just need
to approve it, or make comments/suggest changes.
<iWolf> Since we are missing the chair, we might want to do a mailing
list vote?
<iWolf> Questions?  Comments?
<iWolf> eof
<RodrigoPadula> !
<RodrigoPadula> yesterday i talk with the LATAM group
<RodrigoPadula> probably we will have new events do add in this spreadsheet
<RodrigoPadula> but... probably...
<RodrigoPadula> so, we can vote now
<iWolf> Has everyone had a chance to look at the new spreadsheet?
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<MrTom> yes for me
<MrTom> i find it good, however i don't know where Max will find the
money for the livecd i asked for
<fugolini> i'm really sorry but the train had a 2h of delay
<fugolini> i'm just arrived at home
<MrTom> no pb fugolini
<MrTom> we started 10 min ago
<iWolf> fugolini: no worries, fabian_a was just getting us started -
covering budget now
<fugolini> ok, let me go to refresh my face
<iWolf> MrTom: were they going to get you some media from the LinuxTag
leftovers?
<MrTom> I don't think so
<iWolf> hhmm, is this for your release party?
<MrTom> but i'm not sure as well that max gave the final approval about it
<MrTom> for the release party and for Mont de Marsant in fact
<fugolini> fabian_a: you can continue leading the meeting
<iWolf> MrTom: ah, we have $1000USD set aside for the Mont De Marsant in
the spreadsheet.
<iWolf> Will that help?
<MrTom> yes, but half of it would get lost in the live cd
<fabian_a> fugolini: we just go through the agenda point by
point...there is not much to lead
<MrTom> i hope, i'll wait for Max thoughts about it
<MrTom> because he talked about extras $500 for them, then I don't
really know
<iWolf> MrTom: sounds good, there is a little bit extra in the budget,
maybe spread it across what we have allocated for you now, coupled with
leftovers from LinuTag, etc.
<MrTom> yes
<fugolini> iWolf:  +1
<iWolf> So, are people comfortable voting on teh most recent budget Max
posted this morning?
<iWolf> I don't want to rush it, but I also want to clear it off the
plate if people are in agreement.
<jmbuser> Looks good to me
<MrTom> as well for me
<fabian_a> for me too
<RodrigoPadula> +1
<iWolf> +1 from me
<fugolini> +1 too
<iWolf> Great!  So Q2 budget is approved.
<iWolf> That should be it on the budget agenda for this week then.
<iWolf> fabian_a: back to you.
<fabian_a> ok, point 2: release events status and contest
<iWolf> I guess that's me again....   :)
<iWolf> We've been seeing lots of event reports, sounds like there have
been some good events going on and lots of coverage.
<iWolf> the contest ends next Tuesday.
<iWolf> After that, I will compile a list of report links and mail the
famsco list
<iWolf> for discussion on who we award the laptop bag to.
<iWolf> eof
<fugolini> ok
<fugolini> !
<RodrigoPadula> i'm organizing the Brazilian Release Party to the next
week, where im thinking to create the Rio de Janeiro Fedora LUG
<fugolini> may i?
<RodrigoPadula> i will use this party to recruit new colaborators and
members to the local user group
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<fugolini> Just a thing ...
<fugolini> All the release events just done had great reports and, as i
could see, they were sucessfully
<fugolini> there are others so far, and i'm sure they will be sucessfull
<fugolini> what i want to say, is that we need to store all the knoledge
from this first expereince
<fugolini> to improve the next Release Events, maybe sharing with
marketing project
<fugolini> our ideas etc. to have a more deep media cover
<fugolini> i think they could be another way to have a contact with
people and it could became a milestone for the future
<fugolini> eof
<jmbuser> !
<fugolini> i think you can talk
<jmbuser> My impression is that the press coverage was pretty good for
this release with many positive articles
<fabian_a> jmbuser: sorry
<jmbuser> I also noticed that local events were also covered by their
local newspapers
<jmbuser> This is great publicity
<jmbuser> eof
<fugolini> http://punto-informatico.it/p.aspx?id=2295086 --> this is an
example :)
<fugolini> i'm saying this because i see how far marketing project is going
<fugolini> i think it could be a helpfull hand, yes, i think people
worked and are working great, without doubtr
<fugolini> eof
<fabian_a> are we done with release events status?
<iWolf> fabian_a: i am.
<fugolini> yes
<RodrigoPadula> yes
<fabian_a> ok, next point.  Ambassadors Project status
<fugolini> !
<fabian_a> fugolini,
<fugolini> thank you
<fugolini> We are near the end of the first warter and i want to ask FAmSCo
<fugolini> to express what they think it's necessary to improve in the
community
<fugolini> max suggested to work on Apac
<fugolini> and i think he was right, but i hope you'll give me more infos
<RodrigoPadula> Apac ??
<fugolini> what you think we and i miss
<fugolini> and what we could improve
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula: why?
<RodrigoPadula> what is Apac ?
<jmbuser> APAC = Asia Pacific
<RodrigoPadula> ohh sorry
<fugolini> sorry, i didn't understand
<fugolini> just all
<fugolini> i hope this discussion could start here and could continue in
the list
<fugolini> eof
<RodrigoPadula> !
<fabian_a> RodrigoPadula,
<RodrigoPadula> i think not only APAC.. but CARIBEAN, and many other
regions where the number of ambassors is litle
<RodrigoPadula> for me, we need to see in the ambassadors list where we
need to improve the project
<RodrigoPadula> for me .. the first step is recruit ambassadors in this
  areas
<RodrigoPadula> im doing it in Brazil and others countries in latin america
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<fugolini> !
<fugolini> i just wrote an email asking people feedbacks, if you desire
an explicit mail i could write it. just tell me
<fabian_a> i think that we need to work in every region because a lot of
idle or inactive ambassadors in the country list doesn't reflect a big
community
<iWolf> fabian_a: +1
<RodrigoPadula> it's other problem!
<RodrigoPadula> one problem is: we dont have ambassadors
<fabian_a> IMHO, every member of famsco should work in his area and give
a hand to apac
<fugolini> i think, meanwhile, we have to give a reason to people to
work (and to recruit new ones)
<RodrigoPadula> other problem is : we have but they dont work!
<RodrigoPadula> in my opnion.. some ambassador need to be fired hehehe
<fugolini> no, nobody was hired
<fugolini> so nobody could be fired
<iWolf> fugolini: +1
<jmbuser> +1
<fabian_a> we have to give them a reason to work...as an ambassadors you
are not an employee ;-)
<fugolini> i think we could invite people with any kind of activities
<fugolini> e.g. Release Party are a simple way to tell people: you can
enjoy yourself spreading the Fedora voice
<RodrigoPadula> many people join us to see names on the list
<RodrigoPadula> as ambassadors
<RodrigoPadula> i have another vision of the Ambassadors Project
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula: probably you are right, but i think we have to
see the other side of the glass (not the empty one)
<RodrigoPadula> if we have great ambassador... it's sounds good to the
project
<RodrigoPadula> but names in the list.. not sounds goog
<RodrigoPadula> good
<fugolini> but we have great ambassadors, and i can tell you the names,
(you see them in the list, in the planet, in the real life meeting etc)
<RodrigoPadula> yes
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula: this is a cons of a community made by volunteers
<RodrigoPadula> i thinks it's 10% of all ambassadors
<RodrigoPadula> for you what is a volunteer ?
<fugolini> not in the military sense
<RodrigoPadula> we have some ghosts on the ambassadors list
<Southern_Gentlem> !
<fugolini> but ?if you close the door, people whould be scared
<fugolini> Southern_Gentlem:
<fugolini> osp sorry fabian_a
<fugolini> i forget
<Southern_Gentlem> RodrigoPadula,  people volunteer to give their time,
sometimes people need to be guided to the next tasks, or they get bored
<RodrigoPadula> no... i'm not talking to close the door
<Southern_Gentlem> and there has been talk of clearing out the
ambassadors list before and it ticked alot of the good ambassador off eof
<fabian_a> we have some ghosts but we are maybe able to bring this
ghosts back to live
<fabian_a> Southern_Gentlem: +1
<RodrigoPadula> here in brazil we have many volunteers, when this
volunteer is working frequently i invite this to the project
<Southern_Gentlem> !
<fabian_a> if the e-mail addresses still are valid ;-)
<fabian_a> Southern_Gentlem,
<fugolini> fabian_a: +1 :)
<RodrigoPadula> the problem is... the local project not is the first
contact in your contries
<Southern_Gentlem> RodrigoPadula,  please use meeting protocol
<RodrigoPadula> sorry!
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<Southern_Gentlem> i am Fedora ambassador for this area did i have a
release party for f9 no because my college is on Summer break, this fall
i will be involved with my local lug to have a release party for f10 eof
<RodrigoPadula> !
<fabian_a> RodrigoPadula,
<RodrigoPadula> ??in brazil... we are the interface between the Fedora
Project and the community
<RodrigoPadula> so, we recruit collaborators
<RodrigoPadula> and guide this ambassadors to contribute with the projects
<RodrigoPadula> when a collaborator work constantly
<RodrigoPadula> i invite this to the ambassadors project
<RodrigoPadula> so, in the ambassadors list we have only active ambassors
<RodrigoPadula> 90%
<RodrigoPadula> the local project need to copy this model!
<Southern_Gentlem> !
<RodrigoPadula> to drive and guide the local community
<RodrigoPadula> to work and represent the fedora locally
<RodrigoPadula> eof
<fugolini> the problem is that, here, we haven't sign any contract or
any kind of obligation with fedora project, because fedora project is
not an association nor a company. It's a group of people that give
freely without any duty their time
<fabian_a> Southern_Gentlem,
<RodrigoPadula> i agree.. but the local projects need to guide your
local members!
<Southern_Gentlem> RodrigoPadula,  i understand what you are staying,
but are you saying because i am not living and breathing Fedora every
minute of every day i am not an active ambassadar?
<Southern_Gentlem> i for one have a lot of college students who are
getting interested in helping with fedora,, but the majority do not have
the spare time
<Southern_Gentlem> eof
<fugolini> Southern_Gentlem: yep :)
<fugolini> RodrigoPadula: have you a proposal to make now or in the next
day (trought the list)
<fugolini> ?
<RodrigoPadula> yes
<fugolini> now?
<RodrigoPadula> on the list
<RodrigoPadula> later
* iWolf is running out of time
<fugolini> perfect, i think it could improve the discussion
<fugolini> iWolf: i agree with you (i have to eat, cleat etc.) :)
<Southern_Gentlem> laters
<fabian_a> i suggest to skip the last points
<jmbuser> +1
<iWolf> +1
<RodrigoPadula> +1
<MrTom> yes
<fugolini> ok
<fabian_a> anything else for today?
<iWolf> not from me.
<RodrigoPadula> not
<fabian_a> meeting has been adjourned...