[Ambassadors] OLPCs at LinuxTag

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat May 24 14:10:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> We have 2 OLPCs floating around Europe now, both of which are likely to end
> up at LinuxTag.
>
> I think that the people who are demonstrating them need to make sure they
> can appropriately talk about what has happened lately with the whole
> OLPC/Windows saga:
>
> We should focus on the Sugar interface, and making sure people know that
> this interface is still being developed, regardless of whatever else is
> happening with OLPC itself.
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page

Hi Max,

I've given talks and demonstrations to several groups including one
that is considering a donation of 400 laptops to a sister school. The
talks heavily emphasized the education mission and were received with
a level of enthusiasm I wasn't prepared for. I've been asked to come
back to these groups in the future to give follow-up presentations.

In light of the recent developments I feel quite uncomfortable at this
point as my faith in the OLPC project being an education project, not
a laptop project, is not on a firm foundation any more. While I
enthusiastically can promote Sugar, it doesn't seem to be part of the
OLPC project at this point.

Can you shed any light on the future of Fedora's role in the OLPC
project? Or can you shed any light on how one can explain what
happened within the framework of this project being about education?

John