[Ambassadors] thinking about 2009

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 02:39:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:

> Please share your thoughts on any of the following topics.
>
> (1) Do you like the "regional accountability" model that we are trying to
> create for Ambassadors?  This means having recognized leaders in each part
> of the world who are responsible for making sure that Ambassadors in that
> region get the resources that they need?

+1

I think that this is a good method because local people know best what the
local needs are. In addition, it decentralizes the decision making and makes
it more responsive to the needs of a given region, rather than having to
wait for top-down authority.

(2) Are the regional IRC meetings useful for organizing events and getting
> things done?  Does this model mean that FAmSCo is not needed for event
> organization?

+1 to the first question, -1 to the second. FAmSCo is needed for event
organization and coordination -- especially coordination -- and IRC meetings
are useful for getting things done and keeping everyone "on the same page,"
so to speak. As far as FAmSCo's role in event organization, I believe it is
vital to coordinate events among those regions that are hosting or
participating in events, as well as to serve as a

> (3) What do you think FAmSCo should focus on?

Forgive me if this is obvious, but FAmSCo should focus on making sure
Ambassadors are well prepared and have what they need -- support, materials,
guidance, instruction, etc. -- to properly represent Fedora. To my
knowledge, this is something at which the committee already excels, and
should continue doing.

Personally, I lean toward guidance and instruction as a significant part of
this equation, since I believe it serves us best in having articulate and
prepared ambassadors representing Fedora. However, during my tenure as an
ambassador, everyone I have met has been articulate and well-prepared in
representing Fedora.

> (4) How can FAmSCo do a better job of serving you or your region?

FAmSCo does a good job in serving me/my region. But as the car commercials
say, your mileage may vary. There are probably others who may not be as
lucky as me, and for those who have been having problems -- if any -- those
need to be rectified.

Also, while my experience is somewhat limited, I have been impressed with
how well ambassadors have worked together -- a facet of this group that
needs to continue and grow. For example, we had a situation recently where
the Event Box had to go to either Portland, Oregon, or Toronto, Ontario (I
think), and one of the things that impressed me was the willingness of
ambassadors to work together. We who requested the box for Portland yielded
to the Toronto event, but the discussion was very cooperative in nature, and
a wide variety of solutions were being offered by all involved.

Larry Cafiero