[Ambassadors] APAC Ambassadors Meeting log 2008-10-16, 3:00 UTC

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 04:09:21 UTC 2008

* susmit has changed the topic to: APAC Ambassadors meeting is now on
<susmit> Who is there?
<susmit> SusmitShannigrahi
<shankar> ShankarPokharel
<chendra> JohnChendra
<hers> YuanYijun
* hers ok I am new
<susmit> hers, welcome
* rishikesh has quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
<chendra>  I'm somewhat new.. new to the meeting that is :D
<susmit> this is going to be a short meet, I don't see many people here :)
<hers> me too
* rishik (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has joined #fedora-meeting
<hers> susmit~ just be patient, more people will come but 2 hrs later
<shankar> there are 101 total, but mostly dumb ones
<shankar> :)
<susmit> nope, I can not wait for 2 hours, :)
<chendra> :) the last time I was 4 hours late I think :P
<susmit> anyway agenda is here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Meetings/2008-11-16
<hers> susmit~ where do you reside, in india or AmE
<susmit> India
<susmit> This low attendence is because of irrregular meetings
* rishikeshsharma (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has joined #fedora-meeting
<hers> how about the time zone? you know Chinese use +0800 here
<shankar> lets talk about the "regular meetings" agenda then
* rishik (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has left #fedora-meeting ("Leaving")
<susmit> shankar, yes
<chendra> hers: we have the same timezone :)
<susmit> any suggestion about it?
<shankar> susmit, monthly first sunday is fine for me
<rishikeshsharma> sorry got dc
<chendra> +1 for first sundah monthly
<hers> our experience: we hold weekly meeting at #fedora-cn, every
Friday 20:00 (+0800)
<chendra> sunday i mean :)
<susmit> But the problem is people want to enjoy a holiday on sunday :)
<susmit> any input from EMEA or NA?
<rishikeshsharma> i hope saturday is a good time for meeting
<chendra> saturday around this time is also good
<hers> susmit~ what is EMEA and NA, aren't they all india groups?
<shankar> saturday is also fine for me
<susmit> Saturday may be a good option, but again the problem is APAC
is so big a region, we cannot do anytime after 3:30 IST
<susmit> and many people have offices in morning :D
<susmit> so????
<chendra> NA is North America? EMEA is Europe Mediteranian East Asia?
<rishikeshsharma> any event owner here for apac region in q4
<susmit> chendra, yes
<hers> saturday is not a good option since people need to work overdue
on Saturday
<susmit> Then make it Sunday...2nd Sunday of Each month?
<rishikeshsharma> yes chendra, where are you from?
<shankar> +1
<susmit> And as reserve the third one
* chendra from Indonesia :)
<rishikeshsharma> +1
<chendra> +0800, CIT
<susmit> fine.
<chendra> +1 2nd sunday, 0300 GMT
<hers> why monthly not weekly?
<susmit> +1
<hers> since it is hard to remember the date..
<chendra> hers, i think that depends on agenda and events frequency :P
<susmit> I shall remind you. DOn't worry :D
<hers> if I'll read all the emails
<susmit> chendra, exactly
<shankar> herlo, ;)
<susmit> hers, we can have weekly meets
<susmit> but at this point we just don't have enough to discuss...to
tell the truth.
<rishikeshsharma> yes
<chendra> make a filter, "APAC Meeting" as the key phrase, put a big
star and put it in your inbox (if u're using gmail that is :P)
<susmit> Lets see if we can turn that around
<rishikeshsharma> i think bi-monthly sounds good
<susmit> rishikeshsharma, nah, too negative :P
<hers> chendra~ I'll do that. ^_^
<chendra> bi-monthly means once every two months?
<susmit> anyway, chendra, what is the situation at at your place?
<rishikeshsharma> sorry
<rishikeshsharma> i mean to say twice in a week
<shankar> rishikeshsharma, i think we need >at least< monthly meetings
<chendra> ic
<rishikeshsharma> i mean to say twice in a month
<rishikeshsharma> sorry again
<chendra> susmit: fedora-id is starting or atleast have been up for a few months
<shankar> rishikeshsharma, :)
<chendra> people are active in forums..
<susmit> hers, please be prepared, I am going to ask the same question :)
<susmit> chendra, link please
<chendra> forum.fedora.or.id
<susmit> thanks
<rishikeshsharma> lets discuss about our coming events too
<chendra> I myself haven't been around lately :P too busy
<susmit> how many of the Ambassadors are active there?
<susmit> rishikeshsharma, please hold on for a minute. I shall come to
you too :)
* azneita (n=azneita at 119.94.52.176) has joined #fedora-meeting
<rishikeshsharma> ok
<susmit> chendra, ?
<chendra> in 2008 there are some people joining me as ambassadors,
around 3 to 5 if i'm not mistaken
<chendra> but indonesia is a big archipelago, we're all divided...
<susmit> Do you have a contact with them?
<chendra> one in Sumatra island, one in Jakarta, one in Surabaya, me in Makassar
<azneita> sorry for being late
<chendra> yes, in fedora.or.id
<azneita> Heherson Pagcaliwagan
<susmit> hi azneita
<azneita> hi susmit
* hers_ (i=de7dd36c at gateway/web/ajax/mibbit.com/x-f2d25ce5f024745a)
has joined #fedora-meeting
<susmit> chendra, Why don't you sit in a meeting on irc?
<chendra> we have a local mailing list hosted in google, but the list
is very quiet now
<chendra> no..
<chendra> no meetings yet
<hers_> bad luck, X crashed
<susmit> do it
<hers_> chendra: the group address?
<chendra> I'll probably contact them, we've got an event coming next year
<chendra> fedora-id at googlegroups.com
<susmit> do it, discuss your plans, and let us know if you need something
<hers_> ours: fedora-cn at googlegroups.com
<chendra> My hometown (Makassar) is chosen for ILC (Indonesian Linux
Conference) for 2009, I'm planning to get as much fedora in it as I
can
<lcafiero> When is it, chendra?
<chendra> our local LUG is in charge of the event, we got our first
meeting yesterday
<susmit> no, first call an irc meet of every ambassadors of your place
<susmit> coordinate and discuss
<chendra> lcafiero: maybe around october or november next year
<chendra> in my hometown? there's only me :P
<lcafiero> thanks
<susmit> I am saying *IRC* meeting
<chendra> oic
<chendra> yes, I'm planning to do that
<hers_> chendra: then you can have a LUG which includes various Linux
users and Unix lovers
<chendra> as soon as the local committee for the event is set up
<susmit> hers_, a moment please
<hers_> :)
<chendra> so this is the situation
<azneita> yes
<susmit> chendra, why don't you discuss before that? why do you need
acomitee for an IRC meet?
<chendra> LUGU (Makassar's LUG) is incharge for next year ILC...
<chendra> not fedora only
<chendra> but, the committee for the event is just starting to set up yesterday
<chendra> so there's no date,etc yet
<chendra> just the decision of : ILC 2009 is in Makassar
<chendra> that's all
<susmit> just a sec, Keep aside that event
<chendra> so, I'm planning to contact all Indonesian ambassador to
discuss what we'll having in that event
<chendra> okay, it's another year anyway :P
<shankar> susmit, let's discuss our pre-defined agendas first!
<rishikeshsharma> ok
<chendra> but it'll be a nice start to gather all indonesian ambassadors
<susmit> shankar, this is on agenda 2
<chendra> yes, stick to the agenda :P
* hers_ going to modify agenda page quitely
<shankar> susmit, oh
<chendra> my story will go on for a year you know :P
<susmit> chendra, please gather the ambassadors as soon as possible,
discuss your plans and let me know what do you need
* rishikeshsharma (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has left #fedora-meeting
("Leaving")
<chendra> okay, I'll contact all indonesian ambassador for a meeting, we
<susmit> no use waiting for an event an yesr later
* rishikeshsharma (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has joined #fedora-meeting
<susmit> year
<chendra> that
<chendra> that's what i mean
<susmit> Please assign time line..a couple of weeks?
* linuxguru has quit ("brb")
<chendra> before next meeting
<susmit> hers, you are next
<chendra> I'll try to contact them starting tomorrow
<susmit> chendra, thanks, I shall be poking you and spamming you :)
<susmit> hers
<chendra> I appreciate your spams :D
<shankar> i think hers is editing wiki :)
<hers_> me? no, just joking
<hers_> I said in the email that I am going to describe fedora in
china for you, but that is low priority
<susmit> go on please
<hers_> other agenda go first
<hers_> the meeting time has settled right? my X was crashed
* rishikeshsharma is now known as rishikesh
<susmit> no describe, thats on the agenda now.
<susmit> agenda 2
<susmit> so go on and tell us about fedora in china
* linuxguru (n=linuxgur at unaffiliated/linuxguru) has joined #fedora-meeting
<hers_> susmit: I want to know something about FOSS.in, would you
please say something about that?
<hers_> why FUDCon is "cancelled"
<susmit> hers, later. But the discussion is now on about collating the
APAC efforts
<hers_> ok.
<hers_> fedora in china has only a few ambassadors
<hers_> most of them are in Beijing, the biggest city and the central of China
<susmit> fine
<susmit> events? how frequent are they?
<hers_> Beijing LUG is very good
<chendra> sorry guys, something just came up, I'll be AFK for now,
I'll follow through the log
<susmit> link please
<hers_> http://www.beijinglug.org/ but no fedora specific events so far
<susmit> why don't you plan one? May be in March next year?
* jnettlet has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<hers_> I am in Shenzhen, not Beijing, we have a LUG too.
http://groups.google.com/group/szlug
<susmit> good..thanks :)
<hers_> again, no fedora specific events, the nearest one is when
Fedora released, I spreaded DVDs within them
<hers_> Fedora 9
<hers_> other cities have no LUG at all AFAIK :(
<hers_> so no more fedora local events.
<susmit> who coordinates the effort?
<susmit> if anyone at all does?
<hers_> who?
<hers_> how?
<susmit> who cordinates the ambassador activities in china?
<hers_> most fedora users are school students, but most ambassadors
are not students any more, I believe this is the reason why there is
so few fedora events in China
<hers_> susmit: I don't know, no one
<susmit> ok...try organising yourselves, mail to all of them
<susmit> for a start
* azneita_ (n=azneita at 119.94.52.176) has joined #fedora-meeting
<hers_> susmit: if anyone is trying to coordinate anything, that
should be me, gcell and our working group
<gcell> ?
<hers_> susmit: we just set up a working group to set up a website
* jnettlet (n=jnettlet at c-65-96-182-216.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined
#fedora-meeting
<hers_> susmit: that is the online part, not local events
<hers_> talking about the online part, we have a mailing list at
google http://groups.google.com/group/fedora-cn
<hers_> the traffic is healthy
<susmit> fine
<hers_> and we have  weekly IRC meetings at #fedora-cn , every Friday 20:00.
<hers_> the mailing list and IRC meetings have been lasted for very long time,
<hers_> check the logs here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zh/Meetings
<susmit> do one thing, list the efforts and send to me by mail.
Anything you want to say about fedora-cn
<susmit> fine?
<hers_> so?
<susmit> hers ^^
<shankar> guys, i need to go, before that i want to update something
<susmit> shankar, go on please
<hers_> the most recent online activity is a website,
http://bbs.fedora-zh.org , http://news.fedora-zh.org  and some other
sub sites are planned
<hers_> shankar: please
<shankar> we are organizing F10 relese party on 29th
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/ReleaseParty/F10/Nepal
<susmit> hers mail me off list listing everything
<susmit> 29th Nov?
<susmit> fine
<shankar> ya
<susmit> has it been funded?
<shankar> is in the process... but it's not easy to get money here in Nepal
<shankar> i mean, no credit cards, no PayPal withdrals
<susmit> did fedora sponsored that?
<susmit> oh
<susmit> western union transfer?
<shankar> but they charge too much :(
<susmit> hmm...
<hers_> @_@
<susmit> anything else?
<shankar> also, smthng abt 3rd agenda, (as i am goin out)
<susmit> sankar, I shall contact you for knowing the fedora-nepal thing
<shankar> all right
<susmit> The APAC ambassadors shirt will cost around 4USD if produced
in Kolkata, India
<azneita_> shipping?
<susmit> but add to that the shipping cost
<susmit> exactly
<shankar> yes, that would be very cheap (<<< than 25 euro)
<susmit> yes, that it would be.
<rishikesh> yes, its cheap
<rishikesh> what about quality
<susmit> Event embroidered one costs 6-10 USD, good quality polo, but
not sure if available in Fedora color
<susmit> but shipping cost will be too much..we need a solution to that
<susmit> any input?
<hers_> susmit: email you about the activities we are working on? I
don't see the point, what help can I get from FP/FAmSCo/other
Ambassadors?
<shankar> gotta go, will check the logs later
<hers_> talking about shirts, what are they used for?
<susmit> hers, for wearing? ;)
<hers_> ...
<susmit> its Ambassadors shirt, when you go to events, you wear them
<susmit> hers, talking about help
<hers_> you have so many Ambassadors
<azneita_> ;-)
<susmit> what help do you *need*?
<hers_> so you can make shirts and the cost is low
<hers_> while here is so few of them
<hers_> :(
<hers_> susmit: what do you think if you can find only a few friends
in such a big country?
<susmit> I have ample opportunity to make more friends
<susmit> :)
<susmit> that's what I shall think :P
* gcell (n=gcell at 220.169.86.211) has left #fedora-meeting
<hers_> for me, my mind turns empty, unfournately
<hers_> so I cannot be a good coordinator IMO..
<susmit> Fine, no problem. But give me a starting point atleast :)
* azneita_ has quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
<hers_> I find myself not enough pursuading, I cannot ask the theirs
to do something good for fedora.
* azneita_ (n=azneita at 119.94.52.176) has joined #fedora-meeting
<susmit> Fine we shall talk about it off list.
* rishikes (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has joined #fedora-meeting
* azneita has quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
* rishi (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has joined #fedora-meeting
<susmit> Time is short and we got to finish this off
<hers_> do you have any idea to share, how to organize the ambassadors?
<hers_> susmit: ok
* rishikes (n=Rishikes at 117.96.101.32) has left #fedora-meeting ("Leaving")
<susmit> anyone has anything more to discuss?
<rishi> sorry got dc
<rishi> yea
<rishi> about my event
* kushal (n=kdas at 122.170.21.1) has joined #fedora-meeting
<susmit> go on
<rishi> my event is on december 7
* ldimaggi_ has quit ("Leaving")
<rishi> its too near n i am really excited
<rishi> my event details is available at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/ReleaseParty/F10/Manipur
<susmit> we all are waiting for the pictures
<susmit> has sankarshan replied?
<rishi> i have sent him mails regarding funding
<susmit> hers, sent you my mail id,
<susmit> any reply?
<rishi> not replied yet
<susmit> ok
<kushal> wait for monday
<susmit> kushal, :)
<susmit> anything else?
<susmit> else we close
<susmit> Ok..the meeting ends here. Thanks for coming

--
Regards,
Susmit.

ssh