[Ambassadors] FAmSCo Meeting - IRC Log 2008-10-01

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 1 21:14:26 UTC 2008

HTML version of the log is here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meetings/2008-10-01

Raw log is here:

<AndreasR> AndreasRau is here too
<fugolini> FrancescoUgolini
<fabian_a> FabianAffolter
<AndreasR> AndreasRau
<spevack> Max is here
<spevack> but a bit grumpy
<spevack> AndreasR: definitely not smiling tonight!
<fugolini> ok, no problem
<iWolf> JeffreyTadlock
<MrTom> ThomasCanniot
<spevack> though it's great to see a big FAMSCo turnout tonight
* fugolini too
<jmbuser> JohnBabich
<fugolini> Meeting agenda:
<fugolini> 1. Budget status
<fugolini> 2. F10 Release Parties: owners preview review
<fugolini> 3. Meeting time and date
<fugolini> 4. Membership status
<fugolini> 5. t.b.d.
<spevack> alright
<spevack> i guess i'm first?
<spevack> since it's budget time.
<fugolini> yes
<fugolini> it's your turn
<spevack> earlier this week, I sent out 4 separate budget-related emails
<spevack> to NA, SA, EMEA, and APAC/India ambassadors
<spevack> who have had events in September
<spevack> getting status reports, and collecting details to send money
where needed
<spevack> It looks like most events are coming in UNDER budget so far.
<spevack> unfortunately MrTom had some logistical problems with PCDL (I
don't blame you at all MrTom, I'm just sorry that the event wasn't
better for you!).
<spevack> other events are pretty much on track.
<spevack> So this leads to a couple of good things
<spevack> because the "general events" are staying under budget, and
because there was extra money left from FUDCon, I feel like we won't
have any funding problems for the release events
<fugolini> Great
<spevack> and I also was able to offer an additional $500 to the FAD NA
event
<spevack> so that's about it... we're in good shape.
<spevack> any questions?
<fugolini> Yes
<spevack> go ahead
<fugolini> I've read your email and personally they help really
<fugolini> My question is: for Q4, will us to change something?
<fugolini> *will us have
<fugolini> Or the system could work as it is?
<fugolini> Personally I was feared by the lot of issues
<spevack> I think our general workflow is solid, and unless the rest of
FAMSCo wants to make changes, I don't anticipate doing things too much
differently
<fugolini> *requests
<spevack> I am here to serve you guys!
<fugolini> spevack: thank you
<spevack> so if you have a better way or better idea, just tell me!
<fugolini> spevack: I just post an idea to track event in a way that it
would be possible to query
<fugolini> by owner, country etc
<fugolini> but we will discuss on the list
<spevack> fugolini: here is my comment, for people to think about
<spevack> the FedoraEvents page is very easy for an individual
ambassador to use and edit.
<spevack> It is also pretty easy for FAMSCo or me to look at it and see
"oh, these are the events that are coming soon"
<spevack> or "these are the events that just finished, i probably should
ask the owners if they need money"
<spevack> could it be more automated or database driven?  sure.
<spevack> but
<spevack> i think that it would also
<spevack> make it a bit harder for people to add events.
<spevack> and one thing that i have noticed
<spevack> is that even though we sent a bunch of reminders for people to
get their events on the page early
<spevack> a bunch still came in after our budget deadline.
<spevack> so if the barrier to creating an event goes up more, i am
quite fearful
<spevack> that peole will just ignore the workflow
<fugolini> I was moving my question just because today I was facing
difficulties trying to search for specific events
<spevack> and email famsco directly, which will cause a bigger mess.
<spevack> just a thought
<spevack> EOF
<spevack> i would be interested to hear what everyone else thinks.
<fugolini> spevack: thank you
<fugolini> Anyone has comments on Budget and/or this issue?
<iWolf> I would be inclined to keep the event listing in the wiki.  it
keeps the hurdle low and provides good visibility for a non-fedora
contributor to see if we are going to be in the area at a conference.
<fugolini> jmbuser
<jmbuser> I agree with keeping it on the wiki so people can easily add
events
<jmbuser> EOF
<fugolini> AndreasR:
<fabian_a> !
<AndreasR> Okay, you are right why make it bigger... I think your
comment was very clear
<AndreasR> I didn't thought about that
<AndreasR> eof
<fugolini> MrTom:
<MrTom> i think editing the wiki is not that difficult. It is very easy
to understand how it works... just copy and paste. Having a webapp would
need wok again from the infrastructure team I think, and management from
someone again. EOF
<fugolini> fabian_a
<fugolini> !
<spevack> MrTom: +1 -- who's going to have time to make the webapp.
Websites and Infrastructure are already overloaded.
<spevack> !
<fabian_a> if the events are no longer at the wiki we will be able to
reuse a single entries on the front page as an example
<fabian_a> eof
<fugolini> sp
<fugolini> spevack:
<spevack> fugolini: nevermind :)
<fugolini> ah
<fugolini> As I said, I faced that issue wehn I'll try to get some
useful data in a really brief time
<fugolini> Probably it was my impression, but I just hate to type ctrl-f
and try to filter content
<fugolini> BTW, you are right when you say there isn't space to deploy a
solution etc.
<fugolini> But as FAmSCo is quite made by volunteers that use their free
time, I though it could be helpful to give them a fast way to make query
<fugolini> But sure, I don't want to annoy more with this issue, just
because probably it's something I experienced I.
<fugolini> So, just put it in the sandbox, and discuss about next, most
important issues
<fugolini> 2. F10 Release Parties
<fugolini> I just send an email with people budget preview
<spevack> !
<fugolini> spevack:
<spevack> I thought it was a good email, and that your suggestions made
sense.
<spevack> I think if we can keep the total bill for F10 release parties
in Q3 (so the ones that happen in November) to about $1000 USD or less,
we'll be fine.
<spevack> For the ones in December (Q4), we will deal with that in the
next budget planning round
<spevack> fugolini: and thank you very much for your owrk
<jmbuser> +1 on thanks
<fugolini> spevack: I'm trying to do my best. I have to thank you for
all the suggestions and ideas you daily give us
<spevack> fugolini: no thanks needed
<spevack> but you are welcome :)
<fugolini> So, you agree with my last mail about Release Events preview
<fugolini> just give me a minute for the adress
<spevack> let me go line by line just to be sure
<spevack> Bangladesh, $100-$150
<fugolini>
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/famsco-list/2008-October/msg00008.html
<spevack> Thessaloniki, $100-$150
<spevack> Milan: 150-$200
<spevack> yeah, agreed
<spevack> Maybe give Bangladesh $200
<fugolini> All agree?
<spevack> it won't really matter, and they don't ask for much
<spevack> let's give them what they want.
<spevack> So I would say:
<spevack> Bangladesh/Milan: $200
<spevack> Thessaloniki: up to $150
<spevack> eof
<spevack> i think there's enough money floating around the north
american pot to take care of all their needs.
<spevack> and I'll be in contact with those guys anyway.
<fugolini> spevack: that's what I need to know
<fugolini> thanks
<fugolini> +1
<spevack> fugolini: i think we're in good shape.  No bad feelings or
worries here
<fugolini> That make me happy
<fugolini> Any question, suggestion, critic or whateverelse?
<MrTom> no
<iWolf> none from me
<fugolini> Ok, we can move on.
<fugolini> 3. Meeting time and date
<fugolini> Take a look at this thread:
<fugolini>
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/famsco-list/2008-September/msg00072.html
<fugolini> After a discussion, it seems people agreed to hold
<fugolini> the meeting on Thursday at 19.00 UTC
<fugolini> just take a look at timesanddates.com
<fugolini> maybe it's not the correct adress but it sounds like this
<fugolini> Any question?
<spevack> is that tomorrow?
<fugolini> the next week :)
<spevack> ok, good.  i'm on an airplane tomorrow, and I wanted to attend :)
<fugolini> enjoy the travel
<spevack> if they have power plug in the seat, i will.  ;)
<MrTom> it ok for me on thursday evening
<fugolini> I tried to figure out, as Fabian suggest, the perfect time
from the Calendar page at /Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meeting
<iWolf> thursdays are intermittent for me as it conflicts with a $dayjob
meeting every other week.
<fugolini> *Meetings
<fugolini> iWolf: that's a problem, could you suggest an alternative?
<AndreasR> !
<fabian_a> !
<fugolini> AndreasR:
<iWolf> this Wednesday time generally seems to work well for me.  :)
<AndreasR> one week Wednesday the other Thursday
<AndreasR> eof
<fugolini> fabian_a:
<fabian_a> for me it will not work before 20.00 utc, sorry
<fabian_a> eof
<jmbuser> !
<fugolini> fabian_a: the main problem is that with summertime, starting
from october the 6th
<fugolini> I'll have to wake up really early
<fugolini> I don't knwo when we will start reusing sunlight time
<fabian_a> i know
<fugolini> but with sunlight time 20.00 UTC is ok
<spevack> fugolini: not until november
<spevack> do the clocks change
<spevack> or end of october
<spevack> a few weeks
<fabian_a> fugolini: this is 22.00 cest
<fugolini> fabian_a: for next week I could try, but I can be clearminded
<fugolini> but to have a clear mind I need to sleep some time
<fugolini> I have to wake up at 3.30 UTC
<fabian_a> fugolini: won't worry we will find a way that works for everybody
<fugolini> fabian_a: ok, I'll try to stay up
<fugolini> maybe sleeping before and after that time
<fugolini> jmbuser:
<jmbuser> Wednesdays are my weekend, but doable for me
<jmbuser> Fridays through Tuesdays are not good - Thursday is best
<jmbuser> EOF
<fugolini> I think we could alternate meeting, making him once on
Wednesday and once on Thursday
<fugolini> It's ok?
<MrTom> why not yes !
<fabian_a> fugolini: that's definitely not an option...sleeping before
and after the meeting
<AndreasR> +1
<fabian_a> sure, let's switch the days
<jmbuser> +1
<fugolini> fabian_a: sorry i missed the point
<fugolini> do you agree with my idea?
<fabian_a> +1
<fugolini> Ok, so the motion is accepted
<fugolini> Next item: 4. Membership status
<fugolini> I want to thank kital for the work he has done
<fugolini> during this week we have all experienced the new membership
rules change
<fugolini> I'm referring to the Ambassadors List welcome
<fugolini> but, at the root, the work is going in the right way. Joerg
(kital) is updating us about what is happening and that help us a lot
<fugolini> I think that's all.
<fugolini> Questions, comments or whatever else?
<AndreasR> !
<fugolini> AndreasR:
<AndreasR> thanks kital
<AndreasR> eof
<fugolini> absolutely
<fugolini> Any question?
* kital hears that ;)
<AndreasR> no :)
<fugolini> ok, someone has a topic to discuss?
<fugolini> Tomorrow or maybe later this week I'll write an email to FAD
NA attendees
<fugolini> I can't be there.
<fugolini> I'm not sure if someone from FAmSCo could be there
<fugolini> iWolf:
<spevack> iWolf will be there
<fugolini> will you be there?
<jmbuser> I can be there
<fugolini> So, great. I'll send you the email, along with jmbuser
<fugolini> It's one of the most important Ambassadors-related event this
year. We will have a FAD EMEA too
<GeroldKa>     Re: [Famsco-list] EMEA - NA meeting
<GeroldKa> Is being held until the list moderator can review it for
approval.
<GeroldKa> The reason it is being held:
<GeroldKa>     Post by non-member to a members-only list
<GeroldKa> sorry :-(
<fugolini> GeroldKa: i'll check
<fugolini> GeroldKa: give me the time to access administrative interface
and I'll check it
<fugolini> BTW, fortunately I could join FAD EMEA
<fugolini> jmbuser, iWolf you will be the voice of FAmSCo there
<GeroldKa> for a Pizza Spaghetti ...
<GeroldKa> we will love it :-)
<fugolini> GeroldKa: yeah
<fugolini> blah...
<fugolini> ehehe
<AndreasR> .. there is a place for you reserved... and I am doing the
nameplates
<fugolini> Ok, anything else?
<fugolini> What GeroldKa paste, it's the proposal to hold a common
meeting with EMEA and NA to discuss about
<fugolini> certain topic
<fugolini> I personally happy to see this initiative
<fugolini> proposed by NA Ambassadors
<fugolini> I hope to be able to solve the technical issue
<fugolini> Ok, i'm starting meeting count down.
<fugolini> 3
<fugolini> 2
<spevack> thank you fugolini
<fugolini> 1
<iWolf> fugolini: thanks!
<fugolini> == Meeting adjourned ==

--
Fingerprint: 2F6C 930F D3C4 7E38 6AFA 4EB4 E23C D2DD 36A4 397F

Fedora always leads and never follows.