[Ambassadors] event kit update

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 05:14:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM, David Nalley <david at gnsa.us> wrote:

>> Hmmm... US is only *one* country, so, to me, that's basically *one* local
>> team.
>
> Of course, at the same time, few countries have the kind of distances
> involved in the US - for instance going to Linuxworld in California
> would be almost a 3000 mile trip for me. In terms of size, the US is
> more analogous to the entire European continent. (US is 9.8 million
> square kilometers, while Europe is 10.18 million square kilometers).
> Also I referred to NA - not just the US - and while for our purposes
> that's effectively the US and Canada that's still larger than any
> 'local' team could hope to cover without significant travel funding.
>

>> About the XO, is it _really_ necessary to include it in the event kit ?
>> For example, lot's of people were volontary for the Fedora on XO test
>> campaign, so they already have one to bring to events. I'll personnally
>> buy one when the G1G1 opens again on Amazon.
>
> For our purposes - it's absolutely necessary - for two reasons:
> 1. It attracts tons of people
> 2. One of our missions (and by our I mean NA Ambassadors) is to
> recruit new contributors - and the OLPC SIG is in dire need of them -
> carrying that machine around has garnered a number of contributors
> (many of whom now have their own machine) Furthermore - 1cc provided
> them to us for that purpose - so we can't let them sit idel.
>

>> Same thing for the HP mininote, why include a computer in an event kit ?
>> Are you really planning on sending this all around the world like Karten
>> said ? o_O
>
> Not all around the world, but certainly all around the continent.
> The HP mininote - well because it makes a nice display for Fedora that
> at the same time is small and light. Plus it can be setup for USB
> creation station - which is in our plan as soon as they arrive.
> Moreover they are being donated to NA Ambassadors - and as much as I'd
> like to hang on to one personally, I can't see that as a wise use for
> HP's donation.
>

>> Can't we simply have a list of the materials somewhere, and then a budget
>> is allowed to each local team meeting some arbitrary criteria (more than
>> XX members for example) especially to compose their kit (print the
>> banners, etc...)
>

> That's actually exactly what we were trying to avoid - good high
> quality banners tend to be expensive. They also take some time to get
> ordered. Often times in the US the conferences and events that we are
> attending have the 'Fedora Event Owner' serving on staff. Like the
> event reports that came out of OLF, it makes life VERY easy when the
> box roles in and you can start hanging banners and signs and pull
> equipment out. And with a relative certainty know that, excluding
> consumables, the box has everything you need to run a booth.
> Especially if the booth is being run by someone who has never done it
> before.

I love the debate here, it's great to see so many people liking the
first EventBox.  I should point out that the EventBox came from the
GNOME folks and I believe EMEA created the page we used to design it.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/EventBox

I would like to point out the official name as the EventBox and not
the EventKit.  It's not a kit for making an event.  It's a box which
holds items useful for Events at which Fedorans will be involved.
Either way, it's mostly a naming convention and nothing more.

I put this together in a hope that it would drive this sort of
attention and would work as well as it has.  I think in the next year
or so, we should see 4 in North America alone and I hope the rest of
the Regions follow suit as it is a great idea.  I love standing on the
shoulders of others and hacking something real-world into place that
has become so great.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  And as for getting the EventBox on
to it's next destination, I think we decided at the last FAmNA meeting
that it would be based upon what the next event was listed in the
North American Section of the FedoraEvents
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents#September_2008_-_November_2008_.28FY09_Q3.29)
page.

Looking forward to excellent reports about the EventBoxen around the world.

Cheers,

Clint Savage