[Ambassadors] Working with OpenStreetMap

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 22:43:03 UTC 2008

Hi List,

This weekend at the Ontario LinuxFest, I met Richard Weait, who is one
of the organizers behind the LinuxFest.  His $dayjob, as it turns out
is to work as a Community Manager for OpenStreetMap, and he is
responsible for the NA Northeast region.  In two weeks, he is looking
to do a mapping party in Pittsburgh, and he asked for local help in
organising the local details, namely, marketing and providing good
advice on a decent central location.

I am curious if the rest of the Ambassadors are willing to help out
here too.  Would it be a good idea, and are you, the Ambassadors
willing, to offer up our help in providing local resources?  This
means I will point Richard to our Ambassadors roster, and suggest that
he plan mapping parties where there are Fedora presences.  He would
feel free to contact anyone who is an Ambassador to ask for pointers
on how to market, where to run, and how to run a mapping party in that
local region.  One of the OpenStreetMap guys would come and run the
actual party, so I would imagine it wouldn't be more than just
handling a few emails and maybe an hour of contacting a local venue
(local cafes are excellent) to get the necessary permissions.

Is this something that has some potential within the Fedora Ambassadors?

-Yaakov