[Ambassadors] About Fedora Forum

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 18:12:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Randika Rathugama wrote:

> Ok, I can understand fedoraforum.org is endorsed by the "Fedora
> Project". But is there any specific reason for not conducting a
> "Forum" of our own, on our own domain?

Hi Randika,

Thanks for your question -- it is a good one that people do ask us every
now and then.  Let me see if I can help answer.

There are a few reasons why we don't have a forum hosted within
fedoraproject.org.  Mainly, it would be bad from a community
building point of view.

The fedoraforum.org is maintained by a team of people who provide a
wonderful service to the Fedora Project.  Starting a competing forum
would do two things:

(1) It would confuse users, and fragment the community of people who
actually use the forum.

(2) It would be an act of disrespect to the people who have maintained
fedoraforum for so long on their own.

Far better for the Fedora Project to continue to give fedoraforum our
blessing, and our offers for support and help if they need it.

It is in the top google search results for "fedora help" and "fedora
questions" and it is the top result for "fedora forum".  They are
successful, they are an asset to the community, and they do great work.
No reason to do anything to get in their way.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

--Max