[Ambassadors] Re: Event Report: University of South Carolina - School of Technology Support and Training Management

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Thu Sep 11 20:03:10 UTC 2008

As a followup to this, Paul referenced this in an email on the Open
Source in Education list. Shortly thereafter I received an email from
Tim Budd at Oregon State University with an invitation to come present
the Fedora Project.
While that is terribly exciting I don't know that I am the best
person, though I would love to go.
My concerns are this:
1. This entire education thing - is blossoming into a significant
opportunity and is on the verge of causing me concern from a level of
work involved. Right now I have invites from 4 universities in South
Carolina for this semester and already some invitations to return for
next semester. That alone is a significant chunk of work - not to
mention that some of these universities are toying with the idea of
using open source software in their coursework - be it tech writing
classes writing documentation, or other things like Seneca is doing.
Having to get involved and serve as mentors and do introductions, etc.
2. I am on the East coast - Oregon is on the West coast - so there is
some significant distance there, but travel time, plus travel expense
makes that a heady investment. (and perhaps OSU pays for travel - but
I tend to doubt it)

So I am interested in opening back up this education conversation -
particularly since there is work to be done.