[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

JoergSimon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 12 20:45:11 UTC 2008

Hi Paul,

i want also share my opinion and because i am not half as smart as the most of
the others here on the list i will quote from some Mails from past
discussions - but notice complete out of their context ;) and i am not a
native speaker - i hope i can transport what i want to say.

Am Freitag, 12. September 2008 15:25:58 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> Contributors are to me -- and I think to all Fedora community members --
> some of the strongest advocates for Fedora.  They contribute to Fedora
> because they believe in our mission and want to help.

You are complete right, every contributor is also a representative!

> Occasionally
> there are opportunities for them to participate in an ambassadorial
> fashion, like a public speaking event.

This has nothing to do with the Ambassador Mailing List!
If someone wears a ambassadorial fashion he should be in the Ambassadors Group
in FAS and know his mission - because there are  sometimes FedoraPeople who
struggle with other Distros - for a Fedora Ambassador - this is a no go!
If i am wrong - ok, then we do not need the AmbassadorGroup, because every
Contributor is a Ambassador, right?

> They should be able to report on
> this to the rest of the Ambassadors using fedora-ambassadors-list.

This Event Reports can be placed on the Planet and the Marketing List.
Every Ambassador has to subscribe the Marketing List as well!

> Having open archives is good because it means people can read
> discussions after the fact.  But if people can't read in real time, or
> let Ambassadors know about opportunities and then participate in the
> conversation, we're not getting real collaboration with the rest of the
> project.

The Archives are open for Public Reading!

> In every other list, there are a core of people who work diligently on
> that kind of contribution.  Artwork, Docs, Infrastructure, and others,
> all are in the same situation.  And although people drop in there and
> discuss ideas, that doesn't harm the progress of those particular teams.
> Good ideas are picked up, discussed, and often implemented.  Bad ones
> are shot down (politely, I hope), alternative suggestions are made, and
> work carries on.
> I think more openness would serve this purpose well.
> However, I'm not
> going to ask for a change if someone can convince me that this kind of
> collaboration would be harmful to Ambassadors overall.  What do you
> think, FAMSCo?  Ambassadors?

As you know there is the Marketing List and Karsten Wade has point out the
function of that lists very good during the merging discussion!
<quote>
Fedora *must* have a list where pure, strategic marketing discussions
can occur.  This is a place where people who are otherwise very busy
making other parts of Fedora succeed, can come to discuss some important
ideas related to growing Fedora.  Where people who are marketing
professionals and who want to work with open marketing can come to be
involved.  This should be fedora-marketing-list.

OTOH, there *must* be a list where tactical, day-to-day activities that
enhance and grow Fedora can be discussed.  This is where the various
people who are active in promoting Fedora discuss specifics of events,
activities, and other marketing programs.  This should be
fedora-ambassadors-list. from
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-February/msg00034.html
</quote>

The Ambassador List should be a list with low noise, low traffic for important
stuff between the People who working on the certain Events and don´t have the
time to discuss the same topics again and again. Right now we working on
change the Introduction Requirement for new Ambassadors to lower
the "Welcome" noise. If the world can post to that list i am concernd that we
spend more time with explaining people the Ambassador Rules - than with
organising our work.

Chitlesh expressed it very well also during the Merging discussion -
<quote>
Ok, now let's ask do we need fedora ambassador project after all ?
Fedora Ambassadors will lose their fedora ambassador status. (if every Person
in the World can post to the List and everyone can wear ambassadorial
fashion? why not? - added jsimon)

This implies we(the fedora project) are losing something which is
unique to fedora(and all other OSS Projects i know - added jsimon). This
uniqueness has unknowingly solved many local
fedora problems. Since, Fedora Ambassador Project what else it does,
it:
1- makes every local marketing agent of fedora to meet other local
marketing agents of that particular country.
2- makes all local marketing agents of a particular country
talk/discuss with other local marketing agents of different countries.
(IRC meetings at #fedora-mktg and fedora ambassador mailing list,
Fedora Ambassadors Day)
3- makes all these local marketing agents solve problem together FOR
the SOLE fedora interest.(Fedora Ambassadors Day, FUDCons)

You see now that local marketing agents are what we call Fedora
Ambassadors. With this Fedora Ambassador Infrastructure, we are NOT
creating internal fights between Fedora Ambassadors of a particular
country for an event for example.

While in the Fedora World, we inform the fedora ambassador list for
the event preparation. And generally work on that ML rather than local
MLs. I hope you see the "Upstream benefit" that Fedora keeps on
saying. We had great local fedora communities popping up from that
_Fedora Ambassador Infrastructure_: French, German, Indian,
Brazillian. We are seeing right now brilliant Belgium Fedora
Ambassadors in action.

Fedora Ambassador Project brings QUALITY to the Fedora Marketing.
Fedora Marketing Project brings new Fedora Ambassadors in.
from
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-February/msg00015.html
</quote>

-1 for open the Mailing List

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688