[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 08:27:24 UTC 2008

2008/9/12 Paul W. Frields :
> Having open archives is good because it means people can read
> discussions after the fact.  But if people can't read in real time, or
> let Ambassadors know about opportunities and then participate in the
> conversation, we're not getting real collaboration with the rest of the
> project.

Hello there,

Ever since the Fedora Ambassador Project was created way back in 2005,
this type of discussion comes up every 6/7 months.

I have said it before (several times since the Fedora Ambassador
Project was created) and JoergSimon already posted a link to that.

However please DO NO OPEN THE ARCHIVES OF THIS LIST to public.

A short summary:
The Fedora Ambassador Project is a sub project of the Fedora Marketing
Project and everyone will agree with that. Fedora Marketing List is
open to public, but Fedora Ambassador project's does not. All
Ambassadors _must_ be subscribed to the Marketing mailing list.

Coming back to Paul Frield's words:
> we're not getting real collaboration with the rest of the project.

The collaboration between ambassadors and the rest of the project _IS_
and _should be_ via the marketing mailing list and not ambassador
mailing list.

When the ambassador project was initiated, the ambassador mailing list
was intented to serve as a ground to discuss critical issues (freely
between Fedora Ambassadors) such as:
- budget expenses on a particular event
- frank discussions (but between ambassadors ONLY) about difficulties
they had during events. Thus next time, other fedora ambassadors don't
fall into the same problems.
example: if for a particular event ambassadors had a very bad
experience with a hotel, he/she can share his/her views here. If the
list is opened, this type of discussion will implicate bad publicity
for the hotel. We are ambassadors and not hotel-star-tagger. Thus a
private ML protects our views.
-............(there are many critical issues, that you are already aware of)

Fedora Ambassadors are not those who decide the faith/roadmap(FAB
does) of the whole Fedora Project. Thus to the outside world, this
mailing list is not important.

A REQUEST TO ALL AMBASSADORS:

The Fedora Ambassador Project had many difficulties in the past. Every
time we all worked together to solve those difficulties. We are all
proud of the success of our improvements. The latter is based on our 3
years experience we have.

Please next time before deciding something about the Fedora
Ambassadors Project's faith, DO NOT destroy what we have constructed
during the last past years.

Being a Fedora Ambassador is being part of the exciting Fedora
Marketing family. During many events we have proved to the rest of the
world we are the most solid and proffesional marketing team.Believe me
or not, the closed Fedora Ambassador ML has a lot to contribute to
that.

Fedora Marketing Mailing List:

As for more inter-projects collaboration, I believe everyone should
make an effort to use the Fedora Marketing List instead of using it as
a news-posting media AND leave Fedora Ambassador ML closed for
critical issues.

I don't believe that opening ambassador project ML will bring more
good than bad things to it. I still stress of the word QUALITY! If you
followed our last big events, you would have seen that quality in
promoting the Fedora Project.

Making the ambassador subscription process easier is not by opening
the ambassador mailing list, but rather every ambassador should work
for that.

Vote: -1 : I support JoergSimon's arguments and do not vote blindly.

Kind regards,
Chitlesh