[Ambassadors] Red Hat Virtual Experience report

David Ramsey diamond_ramsey at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:54:08 UTC 2009

> Subject: Re: [Ambassadors] Red Hat Virtual Experience report
> From: jjm at usebox.net
> To: fedora-ambassadors-list at redhat.com
> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 23:17:13 +0100

Hello Everyone,

Greetings.  :)

Juanjo, thank you for your post.  :)

> I'm the man "with the gap between Fedora an RHEL" (sic).
> Sorry to not identifying myself as an ambassador.
> I was commenting with Max a problem that my company has with a big customer, with a very complex set of needs.
> For the server they have pretty clear that RHEL it's the way to go (or CentOS when paid support it's not important), but for the desktop it's different because they want to migrate from Windows to a state-of-the-art desktop.

Ah, customers' set of needs indeed.  :)

> Basically they want the RHEL support (7 years), with the cutting edge features of Fedora (only 18 months, and then reinstall or play with upgrade). And I want to own a Ferrari :)
> We know that this very unlikely to happen because the long time support and ABI compatibility over time implies app version freezing, so we're proposing RHEL for desktops that require long time support (and "suffer" Gnome 2.16, etc), and Fedora for the rest.

Definitely sounds like your company has determined requirements and applied these requirements into specifications which are now being addressed and creating solutions in order to address.  :)

+1 Juanjo!  :)

> Overall they're happy with the idea (three levels: RHEL for long time paid support, CentOS for long time community support and Fedora for cutting edge desktops -- and satellite/spacewalk to manage them all).

Woo hoo!  :)

> The weak point comes when the Fedora support ends. Too much desktops to reinstall, or upgrade (that actually isn't 100% perfect).

Sounds like a possible example of desktop deployment...or at least a consideration for how to integrate in order to address.  :)

>From weaknesses come a set of solutions as well opportunities, find a way to think outside the box and the world "options may be endness indeed" is yours.  ;)

> Than was a complex conversation to have in the minimal-tiny chat box of the Fedora booth, but anyway :)
> Comments are welcome, because it seems to me a nice case to prove your advocacy abilities :)

How about consideration of virtualization for integrating your customers' needs?  :)

Juanjo, as an idea for some more food for thought regarding your customers' needs, have you considered placing a "Post" into the FedoraForum.org?  This may be a good forum to get additional ideas/considerations which may be to your advantage.  :)

If interested, see FedoraForum.org's URL -

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php

Please have a great day and an enjoyable weekend!  :~)

Thank You
Sincerely
=-=-=-=-=
- David -
=-=-=-=-=
David Ramsey
---------------------------------
猿も木から落ちる
さるもきからおちる
Even monkeys fall from trees.
Even experts make mistakes.
=
Fedora Project's Japan & Maryland Ambassador dramsey at fedoraproject.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Dramsey
* Three dual core systems with 3.0 GB running the Fedora 12 (Constantine) kernel - vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.i686.PAE
* One dual core system with 3.0 GB running the Fedora 13 kernel - 2.6.32-0.56.rc8.git1.fc13.i686.PAE
With eight (8) x86_64 computing cores, 16 GB of RAM and two SATA Seagate 7200.12 500 GB harddisks.
=