[Ambassadors] Red Hat Virtual Experience report

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Dec 9 23:37:22 UTC 2009

Max,

----- "Max Spevack" <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> Here's my "trip report" from the Red Hat Virtual Experience.  Some
> interesting conversations, and frequently-asked-questions that lots of
> Ambassadors will get.
>
> http://spevack.livejournal.com/95091.html

Awesome report.  I really, really, really enjoyed the conference... although I have to admit I was at work and wasn't able to concentrate exclusively on it the whole day so I missed a lot of content... and the opportunity to ask questions and chat after them.  Luckily though I saw someone mention that the presentations would be available online for the next 3 months... and verified the "replay" feature is there already.

I did get to attend a couple presentations and do some question asking and chatting... although there were usually three going at the same time so there was no way to see them all live anyway.

I attended the Technical Merits of KVM talk by Andrew Cathrow and was actually able to extend an interview I had done with him and Jim Brennan by chatting with them in the Networking Cafe.  (See: Interview: Red Hat on Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization - http://www.montanalinux.org/interview-red-hat-rhev.html).

While I did notice some pretty minor technical glitches it does show the promise of such a "virtual" type event.  I wonder how much it cost Red Hat and if it is something Red Hat (and/or others) would consider sponsoring for Fedora... so Fedora could have a virtual online conference.

MY MAIN POINT IN SENDING THIS EMAIL IS... how many enjoyed it and would like to use it for Fedora?

My only regret though is that the event was outsourced to virtualevents365.com (this was my first use of their service) and that it, I assume, is a closed service/product... and based strongly on Flash..  If there were unresolved concerns about using virtualevents365.com for a Fedora virtual conference, maybe Fedora could setup up a DimDim server (http://www.dimdim.com/) as an almost suitable substitute that is much more open/free?!?

I too am signed up as a Fedora Ambassador but I've been busy with so many other Linux-related projects (OpenVZ and the LUGs in Montana) that I haven't been very active so far as the Fedora online services are concerned.  Oh, and I have been responding to several Fedora related articles on LWN as Max mentioned. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street