[Ambassadors] The 4f-problematic of Fedora.

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 18 12:14:08 UTC 2009

Hello, this is my point of view of 4-foundations:

2009/12/18 Josephine Tannhäuser <josephine.tannhauser at googlemail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I have some problems with the definitions of the 4f's.
>
> friends - this is a clear thing , we are all friends, the world is
> pink and there are no conflicts (until proven otherwise)

 We not only share a common environment, we also share experiences, meals,
chats and sometimes some users are family or make their best friends around
community (this is my particular case)

> features - is a clear thing to, fedora is a distribution huge amount
> of features (perhaps not enough features ;-) we need more).

We are always improving, if you see other distros packages, you will see
that many times they have old versions while we have *almost always* the
most new software.

> first - there is my first problem. This is like a racing duel with
> other distributions. We can not win on all sectors. This is more a
> destination, our goal.... We WANT to be the first, but we are not
> always the first.

I think this is not only about the environment. If you check our developers
list, artwork, translations, package and go on; you'll find also people who
leads Free/libre Software around the world. Be first is not only be at top
of some ranking, is also be first as a profetional, community and team.

> freedom - This one is my biggest problem. What's the definition of freedom?
> The definition of freedom, which was definied by the FSF, formed the
> understanding of freedom in the whole world. And the FSF (Richard
> Stallman himself) said, that fedora is not free. So what's the current
> understanding of freedom in the fedoraproject?
> I haven't found arguments to discuss with someone about it.

Freedom is related to something like this "we have both packages
(free/libres and some non-free/libres)" *you are free to choose because is
your computer*.

FSF philosophy is not about "let the user choose", is more like "we choose
what you can and can not use". Fedora let the choice to the user... that's
what *freedom* really means.

Merry Christmas :)

> --
> Josephine "Fine" Tannhäuser