[Ambassadors] During some of my review of the Fedora 12 "Constantine, " Fedora 12 Talking Points. :)

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:18:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Mel Chua wrote:
> Almost - there's a subtle but important difference I think we (Marketing)
> may have been unclear about when making and talking about our talking
> points, and for that I apologize.

Hello Mel,

You don't need to apologize as a "person" since this is the
responsibility of almost anyone actively contributing (community and
redhat).

> The F12 talking points are to briefly introduce the major work done by
> Fedora contributors *for the F12 Desktop Spin release.* That means that
> talking points for other Spins should go elsewhere - the question is where.

If it is *for the F12 Desktop Spin release.* as you say : please
_remove_ contents
----
# 2 For administrators
    * 2.1 libguestfs
    * 2.2 Virtualization improvements
# 3 For developers
    * 3.1 SystemTap Eclipse integration and tracing improvements
    * 3.2 NetBeans 6.7.1
----
from the wiki page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Talking_Points . In
accordance to you, they should be irrelevant for the desktop spin,
hence perfectly natural for their instant removal.

This is not the Fedora Desktop 12 spin but might be for RHEL 6, I
don't know. We should stress on Fedora Project here.

> Chitlesh pointed out (rightfully so!) that there wasn't a place for
> release-specific items for each Spin.

I didn't specify "spin specific", but stressed on "contribution-specific".

> That means we should create one! I'm trying to restructure the Marketing
> wiki pages to carve out space for this - in particular, see:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing#Release_deliverables
>
> You'll notice that the page is still extremely messy,

Actually, I would say focus on what matters and what is being claimed.
We(fedora) claim that
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Talking_Points is the talking
points about F-12. We know Fedora (unlike RHEL) doesn't have a
specific targeted userbase.

That above wiki page was suppose to give :
* _fedora_ contributors
* _fedora_ users
* _non-fedora_ users
a brief introduction what Fedora is providing for release N and what
they can expect.

Thereby, it is fully acceptable to have one small paragraph that
points to the workdone during the development cycle of F-N, by any
SIG.

Please don't create other secondary pages for the same purpose, which
are meant for spins/SIG.

^^ This would be considered by uninformed press as an example where
RedHat is advertising its products first before community's
contributions. We(fedora) don't want bad publicity, don't we ? People
in the past has worked hard to convince public that Fedora is not a
beta of RHEL. I thank RahulSundaram for taking the initiative at that
time.

(That said, in the past during Max Spevack's reign, the Fedora
Marketing was contacting News websites that reflects
 Fedora as "Red Hat's Fedora" to recommend them to opt for  "Fedora
Project" instead. This should be continued. )

Coming back to the Talking Points wiki page, what should be focussed
on are "Fedora release N specific details". Unlike any of other
distributions, I think Fedora contributors are intelligent and mature
(another reason why I contribute to Fedora, if not I would not spend
my time for nothing) , so they should be able to summarize their main
contributions for Fedora N release into two/three lines and giving a
link to a detailed page. RexDieter, Sebastian & Kevin(kde spin),
Sebastian(of education spin), Christopher(of LXDE spin), JoergSimon
(of Security Spin) are all wise men and if time permits they would be
able to summarise their contribution into 2/3 lines (perfect of a
centralized wiki page for F-N talking points). (Surprisingly, a lot of
european contributors concentrate on spins.)

This is Fedora, an intelligent community, which strives to give an
example for others to follow in terms of opensource movement. Hence it
is assumed that Fedora users would be glad to hear and able to point
to anyone a single location of what Fedora Project has done for them,
for their children, their spouse, their friends and their colleagues.
This would initiate person-to-person marketing strategy, the ground
idea of the Fedora Ambassador Project. The basic definition of the
existence of the wiki page :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Talking_Points

Kind regards,
Chitlesh Goorah