[Ambassadors] Food for thought. Should we rethink out join page?

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 31 12:50:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:21, susmit shannigrahi
<thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com> wrote:
> [x-post - apologies]
>
> Do we need to rethink?
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/?utm_source=gsnippet&utm_content=mofo1&utm_campaign=s100509

I like our current join page for several reasons :
- it focuses on people/roles
- the pictures are realy expressive
- you're not overwhelmed by a lot of text, but you can find the
informations if you click on the buttons (whereas on the Mozilla page,
it feels like you have to read all of this before you can choose what
to do)

However, there's something I really like in the Mozilla page.

Mozilla:
  You can build a better Internet by getting involved with Mozilla.

Fedora:
  If you want to take an active hand in making Fedora even better,...

The Mozilla one makes me think that if I join, I can be a part of
something bigger than just Mozilla. I'm not contributing to improve
Mozilla's products, I'm contributing to improve the Internet. We could
find something like that. Fedora is about innovation in FOSS, right ?
Instead of asking people to join and "help making Fedora even better",
why don't we ask people to join and "define the future of our
computing experience" ? (or something better phrased, english not
being my native language,...)

Also, the "browse by time available" is a rather nice idea. It helps
focusing people who can contribute very few time. This way, instead of
saying "I don't have enough time", they can actually find something to
do (which might later lead them to do more)

Good catch Susmit :)