[Ambassadors] LATAM: What is done, and the real problems that nobody tells

Guillermo Gómez guillermo.gomez at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:05:18 UTC 2009

Hello fellow ambassadors, i came back from a long time not mailing in
this list and i hope its for a good cause. I felt i need to response
this one but dont want to engage a long flame. Beyond that, im available
for answering your questions.

Said that....

We are facing a crisis in latam/ve, and some smiling faces might be
hiding just the not so happy truth (over dimension the facts/specially
venezuela), specially if they are looking after a seat at FAMSCO.

Facts are contributors are low to very low end users and not increasing
at all not in fedora-ve mailing list, nor usuarios at proyectofedora.org
mailing list at regional level, in fact last year some fedora-ve leaders
were acting against a regional consolidation movement to
usuarios at proyectofedora.org, as well they did in the past against the
wiki content move to higher regional level host under proyectofedora.org
domain, documentation is going down in time, quality and usefulness.

Plis visit:
http://proyectofedora.org/w/index.php?title=Especial:CambiosRecientes&limit=500&days=120

This results for a 120 days period and a limit of 500 changes. U can
increase the limit, or days, and you will see what the results are of
this new leadership (fighting/passionated/youth style).

fedora-ve mailing list stats:

http://groups.google.co.ve/group/fedora-ve/about?hl=en

Members  	545 >> Banned(spammers) 301 = 224 real users (really?)

See again the stats, ¿do u see any progress in the last year?

Maybe this fighting behaviour got some attention and media coverage, i
give u that, but is not good for the last and health of the project in
time, we are actually facing a disgregation and lot of disputes because
of this agressive leadership. Many past contributors are just leaving or
just being passive or frustrated because of this "new way" to do things,
maybe now "we have more contributors",¿but where are the results? (i
dont see result but on the news, on the events, on the cds, on the
stickers produced, only marketing side, theres no meat behind)

I simply dont see them, and simply because there is nothing to show most
of the times.

I dont see a gracefull exit to the situation with fighters, the new
results are, old and well know local/regional stablished contributors
are being displaced for new non experienced users and new comers, and
excuse me, amateurs, and just because they might won an electión, that
does not mean they r doing it right, its democratic, but its wrong imho,
and my local observations shows me that.

I dont see how this leadership is good for latam region (brazil is out
this comments), i tried to do something about it, with no success, im
sad about that, this mail is probably more for geting your eyes open, if
interested, on whats going on down here.

I dont expect good responses from some people in my country (venezuela)
and their behaviour is really in the edge of not being honest, i dont
know its because they want to see something nonexistent so
passionatedly, that they actually see it, or just because they r greedy
people looking after desperatedly for recognition. Despite the one
option you choose, they r both wrong in terms of management for a
community (this fighting style might get echo on some other contributors
so its a difficult situation for the region).

brgds

Ing.Guillermo Gómez Savino
Venezuela Ambassador