[Ambassadors] Red Hat Virtual Experience report

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 9 23:01:16 UTC 2009

> Basically they want the RHEL support (7 years), with the cutting edge
> features of Fedora (only 18 months, and then reinstall or play with
> upgrade).

A Fedora release only lives for 13 months approximately, not 18.

> And I want to own a Ferrari :)

Sorry, can't do anything about that :)

> We know that this very unlikely to happen because the long time support
> and ABI compatibility over time implies app version freezing, so we're
> proposing RHEL for desktops that require long time support (and "suffer"
> Gnome 2.16, etc), and Fedora for the rest.
>
> Overall they're happy with the idea (three levels: RHEL for long time
> paid support, CentOS for long time community support and Fedora for
> cutting edge desktops -- and satellite/spacewalk to manage them all).
>
> The weak point comes when the Fedora support ends. Too much desktops to
> reinstall, or upgrade (that actually isn't 100% perfect).

I was at FOSDEM in Brussels this year and went to see a talk by 2 Cobbler devs.

They talked about Cobbler, and how it helped deployments.

Then they made a demonstration. They had 2 laptops, one with Fedora
installed on it, the other without anything.

The demonstration consisted of :
1. installing and configuring Cobbler on the Fedora laptop
2. deploying Fedora on the second laptop (PXE boot thanks to Cobbler)

All in all, the session lasted no more than one hour. Quite impressive :)

If I were you, that's the way I'd be pursuing.

Anyway, the Ambassadors mailing list is probably not the best place to
ask for help about such an issue, you'll have much more valuable
answers on the Cobbler mailing list, in technical forums or through
your Red Hat paid support (if you have it). ;)

Best regards,