[Ambassadors] During some of my review of the Fedora 12 "Constantine, " Fedora 12 Talking Points. :)

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Thu Dec 24 09:09:55 UTC 2009

On 24/12/09 08:21, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 12:07 PM, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM, Rahul Sundaram<sundaram at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> The goal is to balance the content to the level that press and end users
>>> won't be overwhelmed by a long list of features. It is for new features
>>> in Fedora 12 that appeals to a *broad* audience.  FEL changes don't fit
>>> into that.
>>>
>> Tell me how the following appeals to a *broad* audience as you said
>> # 2 For administrators
>>      * 2.1 libguestfs
>>      * 2.2 Virtualization improvements
>> # 3 For developers
>>      * 3.1 SystemTap Eclipse integration and tracing improvements
>>      * 3.2 NetBeans 6.7.1
>>
> It is easy to see that Virtualization and Developer tools have far more
> users than in the Fedora space compare to electronics but I don't think
> you are ever going to agree to a alternative viewpoint from yours and at
> this point, we can agree to disagree. Good luck.
>
> Rahul

Dear All,
first of all I would like to say, that I do no think that this
discussion belongs onto the ambassadors list.

Secondly, maybe somebody should make clear, as to what is meant to be on
that marketing list. As I myself could not exactly gather what that page
is for.

Thirdly, I do not see anything wrong with FEL being on that list, as
anything that makes Fedora more desirable is, as far as I am concerned ,
useful and very welcome.

Fourth point to make is, that Chitlesh is very passionate about the FEL
spin (we had the pleasure to meet at FUDcon Berlin), it seems popular
and his contribution is very welcome.

And last not least, are we forgetting the goals here ? Talking points,
is not the documentation for the Fedora ISO media, if FEL were mentioned
there, I could understand objections, however, I would not see a problem
in seeing a docs item just on FEL, if people are willing to work on it.
If spins were commercially sold, I would object to them being anywhere
near the sites, however I do not know of one and FEL most certainly is
not sold either! Talking points is for our users!

So I have a few suggestions to make:
a. Clarify what should be on that site
b. Think of the real goals here please, i.e. End Users
They want to know everything new, which makes it a talking point, which
in turn bigs up Fedora as a whole. So throwing a hissy fit on what
should or should not be a talking point, is just silly. Think of the
real goal here! THE USER!
c. Chitlesh, I suggest if you are not happy with this back and forth,
that you either take the issue to a marketing meeting, or whoever
started that page (for a moment there I almost wrote "controls", but we
are a community so we all control it). If that does not satisfy you Id
take the issue to Paul and maybe he can arbitrate, or even the board can
make a final decision on this matter.

Now, you all have a good few days over Christmas, regardless of your
cultural background (time off), and try and sort it out via arbitration
means. And keep smiling please, while keeping the end-user in site.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS