[Ambassadors] Re: Fedora 11: What do we expect?

Md. Sabrul Jamil ador.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 02:07:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Robert Scheck <robert at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009, Ashiqur Rahman Angel wrote:
> > I didnt know this, Fedora's objective is, to make proprietary software
> > installation difficult. If this is, then I am sorry for the mail, I dont
> > have anything to say.
>

> Speaking from the view of an ambassador, I hope, that you don't communicate
> ever such statements as above to users when acting as ambassador or when
> representing Fedora. Surely you didn't meant the sentence such hard as you
> have written it, nevertheless it seems you're lacking basics about Fedora.

What do you expect his reply when someone from project says him ¨You're not
the first one to make these suggestions. Parroting them like a broken record
isn't going to change any of the above. Sorry.¨

Dont you think, his sentence is also as hard as his?

> Please read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems carefully in
> order
> to understand what Fedora is doing and why things are so as they are - and
> especially regarding proprietary software, there called "forbidden items".
>
> The unlucky thing is, that third-party vendors are making the installation
> of their software unnecessarily hard by themself. So if they would license
> their software as open source, it would be much more easy to integrate them
> into Fedora or even ship their software, driver or whatelse as part of our
> Linux distribution.

I am wondering, how Ubuntu make this third-party repo and packages
installation easier. If they can, why we can´t?

> As ambassador your work around proprietary software should be to show stuff
> mentioned above to the Fedora users out there and explain them, that they
> need to get in touch with their closed source vendor and bother the vendor
> hard enough, that the licensing maybe gets changed or better integrateable
> (e.g. the vendor optimizes that by the use of own Fedora repositories) into
> Fedora and other Linux distributions.
>
> Most important thing around is: Proprietary software itself must not be bad
> at all, I understand that companies need to make money. But if then a user
> complains about, he or she needs to get pointed by an ambassador to the
> cause of that. We can't solve things, we are not responsible for. Of course
> the people supporting RPM Fusion's non-free repository are doing a very
> well job. But nevertheless it would be better, if we wouldn't have need for
> such a repository at all - I think we all can agree on this.
>
> So please get more involved into Fedora and try to get the lacking basics
> about Fedora. Ask people around the project, eg. Fedora Ambassadors, Fedora
> Ambassador Mentors or similar. This mailinglist can also be used to clarify
> such things, but avoid cross-posting over several mailing lists.
>
> Finally, I didn't want to blame you at all here, futhermore trying to lower
> your current deficits. Hopefully you're getting it also that way - thanks.

Here I have to remind you one thing, did he say to add close source packages
with Fedora? No he didn´t say it, he just wanted a easier solution of this.
What Fedora really needs to do is find a legal way to make all of these
things easier.

--
Ador
GPG key: 0xCB42A910