[Ambassadors] a fedora feature criticized

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 11:41:21 UTC 2009

Am Freitag, den 13.02.2009, 16:42 +0530 schrieb gopal das:

> Hi,
> I have installed Fedora 10 (nearly 12 times) on 5 desktop PCs
> (including 2 NOs. of AMD X2 and 2 NOs. of Intel Core 2 Duo and 1 Intel
> Pentium 4).

If you do 12 installations on 5 computers, you are installing each one
at least twice. Why that? This is not Windows ;)

> In every installation I tested with ACPI on and off. But on each case
> a message has shown at the starting poing of the booting, like this
> "Could not detect stabilization, wait 10 second" .

This was a problem with mkinird that had absolutely nothing to 20 second
startup feature. It also appeared on RHEL 5, and RHEL doesn't have the
new sturtup.
In your previous mail you criticized that "various services and scripts"
and "other crucial jobs" have not been run correctly. So let me ask you
again: What were you talking about?

> And the thing which creating all the trouble that may be the new
> booting technology ("30 second startup" feature is introduced in
> Fedora 10).

I suggest to search bugzilla before shooting in the dark.

> I am of course not against the faster booting (30 second 20 whatever
> it is) but confused with the big big quistion, is that, why this king
> of booting problem is occuring to a system (with Fedora 10) which is
> booting fine with Fedora 8 or Fedora 9 or Debian or Slackware?

Is any of them running the same kernel/mkinird?

Regards,
Christoph

P.S.: