[Ambassadors] Re: Fedora 11: What do we expect?

Frank Murphy frankly3d at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 2 07:58:19 UTC 2009

1st Apologies for cross post. (aaagh, Top-Post)
Can we centralise all future-replies be kept to Ambassadors-List.

Ashiqur Rahman Angel wrote:
> When did I say, we have to include close source software with Fedora? I
> didn´t say it. All I just wish, easiest way of the solutions of this
> issues. So more people will start using Fedora.

1:
Not closed-source, but patented.
There is a fundamental difference between:
O.S.S. and F.O.S.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software#Open_source_software_vs._free_software

> I am using Fedora from the beginning of  the Fedora Core. Everything is
> easy for me. But think about a Windows User, who wants to switch to
> Linux, can you please tell me, why he will use Fedora instead of Ubuntu?
> In Ubuntu he can easily enable the close source repo, he can easily
> install all kind of multimedia software, he can easily install
> nvidia/ati driver. He can do this thing graphically, and anyone can
> easily do it. But in case of Fedora, he need to googleing to install
> close source software, as well as, codecs and other drivers. Now tell
> me, why he will use Fedora instead of Ubuntu, as Ubuntu is also an Open
> Source and Linux Operating System? Why? Because of free and freedom?
> Nop. Ubuntu is also free.

2:
Refer:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2009-February/msg00028.html

 They also don´t include close source software,
> but it´s very easier to enable close source. Now, if there is some other
> reason (please explain, i dont know) you can say, why they should use
> Fedora instead of Ubuntu, then I´ll say, users doesn´t care about those
> reasons at all. Prove is, Ubuntu is now most popular Linux OS.

3: refer 1:
Most EU citizens will use Ubuntu, not so much because it's easier to
use, but  imho because it's EU based.
Google the amount of complaints re. the latest Ubuntu release.
Particularly wireless.
http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/ilug/2008-November/100179.html

> Now, if you tell me, Fedora is not for new users, then my apologies for
> opening this thread. I have nothing to say. I´ll change my strategy to
> promoting Fedora (I´ll encouarage only advanced Linux users to try
> Fedora, not a new user).

Fedora is for All Users, and like anything.
It takes getting used to, that is where the Ambassador comes in,
with a printed list of where to get help.

> At last, I just want to know, can anyone please tell me, why did I open
> this thread? I am giving the answer, it´s so simple, because I love
> Fedora, I want to promote Fedora in wider public of the world. And I
> want to see, other people is using Fedora. But amximum of yours
> impression is, I want to break Fedora´s goal. Please, open your mind.
> Try to understand. I have my study, I have my work. I don´t have any
> reasons to arguing with you.

I fully understand your love for Fedora it can be seen.
I too in school, have given Fedora 10 media to students.
They in many cases have never heard of Linux.
But one of the five, that got media is now dual-booting with Vista.
My tutor is now using FEL, and another tutor is interested.
These have been breastfed on Proprietary O.S.

Frank