[Ambassadors] [Discussion] Reporting template for ambassadors.

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Feb 17 15:43:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Heherson Pagcaliwagan
<azneita at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> How about a karma-like points system? Event owners get a set number of
> points when they accomplished all the reporting requirements and then
> they get to distribute another set of points on those who helped out.
> Although I'm afraid it will just be a popularity contest but hey my
> two cents is still two cents :D

To what end??
What does it benefit me to have 5000 points, or for someone else to
have 5,000,0000?
Would you have us kick people out that don't maintain a certain point level?

Here is the problem that we are really trying to deal with:
For better or worse we have a low barrier to entry in the Ambassadors.
In many respects I think that's great, because it allows people to get
involved easily. On the other hand we have these 'representatives' of
Fedora who may have no prior experience with the project, perhaps even
no real experience with the F/LOSS community in general. There are
times (they generally follow the email threads that hit the
ambassadors list every few months about including proprietary blobs in
the kernel or patent encumbered media codecs in Fedora) when I think
that the Ambassadors group should be something that existing
contributors attain to - that after you have been known to the
community and we know you will do the work that you are invited to
become an ambassador and begin representing us. The rest of the time I
think that the low barrier is a good thing, after all it's how I
became involved with Fedora (though I had been involved with another
OSS project prior to that) I was one of those 'hardly does anything'
Ambassadors for a number of months at a time. I also was one of the
people who once advocated for patent encumbered codecs to be included.