[Ambassadors] inactive ambassadors, a proposed solution

Rashadul Islam irashadul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:47:03 UTC 2009

 Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> > The purpose of this email is to try to lay out a roadmap for solving,
> once
> > and for all, the question of inactive Fedora Ambassadors.
>
> Perhaps I'm thinking about this problem in a more surgical way.
> Ambassadors contribute in so many different ways that I don't even
> feel comfortable thinking I can enumerate them and so I prefer to not
> label an ambassador inactive because they don't contribute in the ways
> I can enumerate.
>
> > GOALS OF IDENTIFYING INACTIVE AMBASSADORS:
> >
> > (1) Housekeeping.  All projects need to have their membership rosters
> pruned
> > from time to time.  In Ambassadors, this is particularly important
> because
> > non-Fedora people might get in touch with Ambassadors, and if they don't
> > receive a response, it looks like Fedora is ignorning them.  Other
> > sub-projects for which identifying inactive ambassadors are crucial is
> > packaging.  If someone drops off the face of the earth, their packages
> need
> > to be given to a new owner.
>
> This to my mind is the core of the issue at hand. In FAmNA we have
> been encouraging ambassadors in our part of the community to use
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/NA/Regions
>
> This is voluntary, ambassadors may put themselves on this page if they
> so choose. If they do then it is a reasonable expectation that they
> will respond to people who try to contact them using it. They might
> spend 5 hours a day helping others in #fedora but if they don't
> respond to someone contacting them from this page then they should not
> be on this page.
>
> One ambassador might prefer and enjoy being the conference booth face
> of Fedora, another might enjoy being the IRC face of Fedora. Both of
> those groups are self-selecting. The wiki face of Fedora should be
> self-selecting also, not something everyone in the ambassador group
> belongs to by default.
>
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > (2) Give a more prominent location to the "list of ambassadors per
> country".
> >  That page should be the most visited page in all of Fedora Ambassadors.
> >  People who are trying to find out about Fedora should be visiting it,
> and
> > Ambassadors who are looking for other Fedora folks near them should be
> > visiting it.
> >
> > We should have something on fedoraproject.org that says "are you
> interested
> > in Fedora?  Find a Fedora Ambassador near you to give you some
> information"
> > and you type in your location, and it spits back a list of Ambassadors
> near
> > you.
>
> I agree this is important. Opening f-a-l (which I will never advocate
> [...]

Just one more note that each ambassador has a speciality or target for
his/her region for Fedora and its respected community. The authority should
have to think about replacement before taking any action for the inactive
ambassadors.
More over, we should encourage the ambassadors for his task always. Finding
inactive ambassador is great but everyone should have to make sure that
given task of that region is going smoothly.

Regards,

Rashadul Islam