RES: [Ambassadors] inactive ambassadors, a proposed solution

Shambo Bose shambo.linux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 06:52:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/20 Kevin Higgins <crossbytes at gmail.com>:
>
> > Every Computer System that we put out into the Schools has Fedora
> Installed
> > and I have  to do a presentation at every School several times over.. but
> > would not consider these "Events" ..so based on the above requirements I
> > would be considered a non-active Ambassador..and I do think that I am
> very
> > active and contributing a lot to the Open Source Community and in
> Particular
> > Fedora..
>
> Let's ask a simple question - do schools and folks in your region who
> want to know/learn_about/install Fedora *know* that you are the Fedora
> Ambassador ? And, if they want to get some activity going around
> Fedora they can contact you and get
> support/help/guidance/participation ?
>
> >From what I read in your response, the answer is a 'Yes'. And, for me
> that is an Ambassador.
>
> Now, let's take the other point-of-view. A person who is a Fedora
> Ambassador has the name listed on the web-page. Someone in the region
> wants this Ambassador to help out in some Fedora/FOSS related event
> and yet receives no response. This could be because of a number of
> reasons, but the bottom-line remains the same. The potential
> participant in the Fedora Project goes back disappointed.
>
> As the project grows and, we have more Ambassadors, such cases have a
> tendency to increase. A mail asking the Ambassadors about what they
> have been doing or, what help they need is a way of figuring how
> active they are. Just as on IRC, a 'ping' followed by a 'pong'
> encourages conversation, it does so in real life. We need to see the
> 'pong' (s) because we then know whom to point new entrants to.
>
> A Fedora Ambassador is an Ambassador for life unless they cause
> immense harm to the Fedora principles, foundations and our general way
> of collaboration. No one is planning to throw them off the boat, we
> would rather give them space to allow them to come back into their
> role once their 'daily life' (or, whatever keeps them away) is set.
>
> --
>
> http://www.gutenberg.net - Fine literature digitally re-published
> http://www.plos.org - Public Library of Science
> http://www.creativecommons.org - Flexible copyright for creative work

We should automate listing of ambassador name in the country directory as
soon as he joins as ambassador ( of course after approval), when a person
requests to join Fedora Ambassador program he should create the personal
wiki through a form then and there so that the ambassador who is approving
the request can check that.

   Every country should have a central group of ambassadors consists of a
ambassador from each region of the country who will be mentoring new
ambassador from that region . I think this will diminish the number of
inactive ambassadors in a region .

Shambo Bose