[Ambassadors] Re: inactive ambassadors, a proposed solution

Emilio Simpkins unidentified221 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 03:36:48 UTC 2009

I agree with that. Just because we are not "reporting" on what were doing,
doesnt mean we are not here. I dont want this taken the wrong way, but on
top of work and school, and trying to interact with my parents and friends,
i have close to 0 free time. So it most likely wont be spent updating a wiki
page or trying to convience someone that im promoting Fedora.

2009/2/20 gordon dunlop <astrozubenel at googlemail.com>

> 2009/2/20 Johan Hasan <johanhsn at gmail.com>
>
>> Just want to say hi and let you know, that I am still exist :)
>>

>> We all exist as Fedora Ambassadors, by the the way this my first post on
>> this mailing list as a U.K. Ambassador from Scotland. We all work behind the
>> scenes promoting Fedora and Linux in general within our country and locality
>> and just because we do not shout about it does not mean we are doing
>> nothing. At the moment within the U.K. we are petitioning our government to
>> adopt free and open software within education :
>> http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/nonMSschool/sign
>
>  Paul did say that we are not schoolboys and we should not be treated as
> such so why do we have the high handedness within the Fedora Organisation.
>
> Gordon Dunlop
>

>> Johan Hasan
>> Fedora Ambassador, Surabaya
>> Indonesia.
>> email: johanhsn at gmail.com
>> yahoo messenger: johanhsn2000
>>
>> Rodrigo Menezes wrote:
>>
>>> Gaurav,
>>>
>>> We are talking about people within one or more years of inactivity. Yes,
>>> they exist, a lot!!!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rodrigo Menezes

>>> from time to time.  In Ambassadors, this is particularly important
>>> because
>>> non-Fedora people might get in touch with Ambassadors, and if they don't
>>> receive a response, it looks like Fedora
>>>  is ignorning them.  Other sub-projects
>>> for which identifying inactive ambassadors are crucial is packaging.  If
>>> someone
>>> drops off the face of the earth, their packages need to be given to a new
>>> owner.
>>>
>>> Pages that need to a "refresh" policy:
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/CountryList <-- I argue that
>>> CountryList is the wrong name for this page, and it should be called
>>> Directory.
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService/Verification
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Count <-- why do we even need
>>> this page?  Doesn't the CountryList page serve the same purpose?
>>>
>>> How often are these pages currently updated?  Is the process manual or
>>> automated, or a mixture of both?
>>>

>>> (2) Give a more prominent location to the "list of ambassadors per
>>> country".  That page should be the most visited page in all of Fedora
>>> Ambassadors.  People who are trying to find out
>>>  about Fedora should be visiting
>>> it, and Ambassadors who are looking for other Fedora folks near them
>>> should be
>>> visiting it.
>>>
>>> We should have something on fedoraproject.org that says "are you
>>> interested in Fedora?  Find a Fedora Ambassador near you to give you some
>>> information" and you type in your location, and it spits back a list of
>>> Ambassadors near you.
>>>

>>> (3) In order for any of (2) to be successful, we need to make sure that
>>> the
>>> people who are listed as Ambassadors are actually paying attention to the
>>> Ambassadors part of Fedora.  If someone is not, it doesn't mean that they
>>> are a bad person -- it just means that they don't want to have to deal
>>> with
>>> organizing events or asking questions from newbies to the project.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't be offended if someone removed me from the Fedora
>>> Infrastructure
>>> group in FAS, because *I DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH FEDORA INFRASTRUCTURE*.
>>>  It
>>> doesn't mean I'm a bad person or
>>>  not a Fedora contributor, it just means
>>> that I don't participate in that part of Fedora.
>>>

>>> HOW DO WE IDENTIFY ACTIVE AMBASSADORS?
>>>
>>> We come up with a policy that is simple, and fair.
>>>
>>> An active ambassador is someone who:
>>>
>>> 1) Has joined the group in FAS.
>>> 2) Reads and/or posts on fedora-ambassadors-list.