[Ambassadors] Freemedia + Unity Re-Spins, Thoughts?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:19:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Francesco Ugolini
<fugolini at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> 2009/1/30 Frank Murphy <frankly3d at fedoraproject.org>:
>> Looking for thoughts on this.
>>
>> What would the Freemedia\Ambassadors think,
>> if we cannot include Unity-Respins as full Project sponsored spins.
>> Could we try work on them as an upgrade option.
>>

>> John (inode) voiced something similar previously:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2009-January/msg00198.html
>>
>> Where requester is sent the Official Media,
>> and the closest Unity-spin to the request date.
>>
>> It will cost ambassadors a bit extra on media\time\p+p.
>> But it will save the requester time\money, and
>> give them a fairly concurrent box.
>
> The idea is interesting, but I want to know if something like this
> could be useful. We have a new release each 6 month, and, generally
> local contacts or other entities burn CDs/DVDs in bulk so the cost are
> less that produce more time a small quantity of media. If I'm not
> wrong re-spins are released after 3 months, this means, we will have
> to cover each FY 4 releases (official and re-spins) and this means the
> cost will be more.

It is more for people like me who burn some each month to send out. We
can burn the re-spins just as easily and they generally are more
useful to someone without a connection to the internet or with a very
slow connection since after even 1 month there are a ton of updates
pending from the official media. I only burn the media when I have
requests pending for it, I don't stockpile it ahead of time.

> BTW, if there are reasonable points, I think we can cosider it, maybe
> a suggestion from a legal POV and/or a Board opinion could better help
> having a decision. What I think is that, finally, we will have 4
> releases, but 2 of them aren't releases but upgraded version.

I raised this question at a public board meeting and there seemed to
be no objection as long as it was offered as a choice and it was made
clear what it was.

>> If feedback is positive, would others be willing to help me bring this
>> forward, to the relevant groups\committees?
>
> If the arguments will be in favour of such initiative, stay sure
> FAmSCo will directly support it, asking Board and, if there will be no
> legal or other obstacles, we will work distributing resource to allow
> this production.

I don't see any downside to supporting re-spins as an option. We offer
both at times at booths and the re-spins fly out the door as fast as
they can be burned.

John