[Ambassadors] Re: FAD in late January or early/mid February?

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 18:57:12 UTC 2009

I'm late to the party, as usual . . . . :-)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Clint Savage <herlo at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> My plan was to get some folks from docs and from ambassadors together.
>  I suppose there may be benefit for devs to come.  The idea of having
> FAD on Friday would mean that while it could be linked up with the
> conference, it wouldn't interfere with the main conference sessions.

Good idea. When I had discussed this with the SCaLE folks, they were
concerned that a FAD on Sunday morning would affect the abillity of Fedorans
to go to the show at that time. So Friday night might be good, and then that
leaves the rest of the weekend for us to enjoy the show, staff the booth --
did I mention staffing the booth? -- and seeing Clint's great presentation

After Max's message to the board here --
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-December/msg00077.html--
it appears that FADs are going to be regional and decentralized,
unlike
the annual ambassador planning/educational event that the FAD at OLF was. I
could be wrong on my understanding of the Fedora Ambassador Day concept, but
now that it's Fedora Activity Day, it creates a wider range of possible
activities.

Having said this, we did go back to SCaLE a couple of weeks ago and tell
them we weren't having a FAD at SCaLE (and there was also the issue of Q4
funds), opting instead to concentrate on a Q1 FAD at Linux Fest North West
in Bellingham, Wash., in April.

Frankly, there's no reason why we can't hold FADs at both.

The thought I had was to hack together some functionality in Moksha
> that could help ambassadors to track the activities going on within
> (and without) Fedora.  Give us a portal (if you will) with a simiple
> way to add events, manage them and track resources.

+1

> For Docs, it's an ongoing thing and since there are a few docs persons
> in California that might be able to come that couldn't make FUDCon, I
> think that'd be invaluable for them to meet others in the Docs team.
> It's also valuable to have some fun, so I think a nice dinner with the
> contributors would help congeal the group.
>
> I'm sure there's more here to think about and possibly do.  But I
> think a FAD still needs a core goal (as was pointed out).  We could
> reasonably get others to participate if we advertised now.

So I'll go back to SCaLE and tell them we're looking at the Friday before
their expo for a FAD and go from there. More to follow.

Larry Cafiero