Re: [Ambassadors] Fedora UK Community Website

Hi,

(I'm a new ambassador - hope people don't mind me poking my nose in, but I'm in the UK :)

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
As Christoph said, the fp.o is hosted in the US, that says much more.
For example, libdvdcss is _not_ illegal anymore in France. This means that
we can read encrypted DVDs in France and explain how to do that.

I was under the impression that with DAVDSI/EUCD, libdvdcss is still verboten in Europe, but I suppose that is slightly beside the point.

Global law is never going to be consistent, so there may be things which are free in some places which are not free in others. But I think actual legal advice would be needed - if information is associated with Fedora, I'm not sure sure why it would matter where it would be hosted personally.

I think this is different from using the term "Fedora" colloquially, too.

The other issue Christoph raised seemed to be about lowering the barriers of access to contribute - and I think that's a very good point. There was some recent discussion on fedora-devel about docs.fp.o moving to a CMS of some sort. It strikes me that kind of access is much better than docbook/et al and would encourage more contributions.

I think it's important to separate the legal/"what is free" question from the question of contribution, though - dividing users based on their locality isn't good (and doesn't quite match their language preference either!), and I'm not totally sure that it would work legally in terms of allowing the ability to talk about/promote software that the main project can't use.

Thanks,

Alex.