[Ambassadors] Fedora takes care about the planet? FZC Proyect

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 16:56:50 UTC 2009

2009/1/17 Diego Escobar <dezone24 at gmail.com>:

> Hi all:
>
> Is not a secret that our world passes for a critical time: excessive
> pollution, the indiscriminate felling of trees, the irrational use of
> natural resources, global warming and many other things that have made me
> wonder what can we do?
>
> Lot of people including informatics and people relationed with technology
> thinks is this a location outside and cant do anything. But it is always
> possible make a grand of sand... everybody can save the world.
>
> Regarding Fedora:
>
> Fedora promotes some kind of ecology? We do not need strict recycling
> policies or abstinence, from simple things like "the last person exiting
> please turn off the light."

Is there already a set of common sense guidelines (I'm sure there must
be) that we might just adopt and recommend rather that creating our
own policies?

> In development policies Fedora how we save? Reuse of software components is
> a very common practice. Can we measure it? Can we save more?
>
> Promote the use of the Live USB Creator. How well would you do if instead of
> burning the CD / DVD,  use the Live USB Creator using your own memory stick?
> Think about this: every 6 months with each release hundreds of discs become
> obsolete. The USB is a way certainly more rational environmentally speaking.

This is something I raised for discussion at the recent FUDcon in
Boston and that I completely support. I think we should work toward
the goal of reducing the volume of CDs and DVDs we distribute each
release for the reasons you have expressed. While we aren't likely to
be able to reduce them to zero, I think we can certainly start tipping
the balance toward more USB sticks and fewer CDs and DVDs.

> What features are in Fedora that promote energy savings? Personally I think
> that Fedora should come with default saving policies stricter starting
> turning off the monitor instead of darkening the screen.

This is interesting too. An aggressive CPU scaling default probably
wouldn't even be noticed by most users.

> What features could be included in Fedora that promote saving and efficiency
> of the system?
>
> Planting trees at least 3 for each server 24 / 7 that we have. (Thanks to
> Fedora Brazil)

A campaign to involve the Fedora community in something like this is
also something I strongly support, regardless of connecting the effort
with some measure of our hardware. It would be very cool to have a map
of trees planted around the world by the Fedora community on the wiki
showing we care about our world and work together in different ways to
make things a little bit better for us all.

> With this in mind, Fedora could be promoted not only as a operating system
> friendly to the planet, this reinforces the sense of community, Fedora user
> is not only a computer user is a good citizen.

I completely agree with you.

> Now, discussing this inside Latam Community, we have agreed create the
> Fedora Zero Carbon Proyect (Fedora Cero Carbono in spanish). The objetive
> starting from this simple ideas (and a lot of what we have had) is a campain
> promoving Fedora looking to the racional use of resorces and good job
> practices.
>
> The Fedora Zero Carbon Proyect was originally created and promoved by
> Rodrigo Padula of Fedora Brazil to reduce the CO2 contamination
> (congratulations!) and now Latam Community with all this ideas are in the
> same way... our world.
>
> So, what do think? Fedora takes care about the planet?

Thank you Diego for thinking about these issues and raising them here.
I'm on board.

John