Re: [Ambassadors] Thoughts Regarding Campus Ambassador Program

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Osama Khan <osamakhn gmail com> wrote:
Hi again,

Just checked with some big links in the academic sector in my country.
Such an initiative is more than welcomed to Pakistan. Also my uni
IBA(iba.edu.pk) is ready to support the open-source movement in our
country. We are already working on some initiatives related to java,
php, mysql, apache and the mono project. Also redhat is already being
used in most of the labs also being a fedora rep i have spread the
word about fedora to some extent that the business management students
who are not really very techy are using fedora as they are sick of
viruses or some liked openoffice and shifted to it. 90% of my campus
already uses firefox. so we would love the pizzas in our labs late in
the nights just before the project submission date ;)
I am also more interested coz till now all the focus in this region
has been in india and here we are not rally able to get hold of the
free media. Till now i have distributed the media through downloading
and creating multiple copies

Please update me how i can help to spread the opensource word in
Pakistan which is an emerging market with 17million internet users.

I'd love to be alive the day we will be using Fedora or RHEL on campuses here in Poland. Where I'm studying now (Warsaw University of Technology), they use (and so we're made to use this s*it) Solaris... :/ As I've mentioned in my last mail, we have some SIGs related to Linux at universities here, but at least if it comes about my university, they don't seem to act a lot as I haven't heard of any of their innitiatives so far. But, for contrast, I've seen some announcment related to M$ (invitation for "Microsoft's technology fans" or something like this) somewhere in a hall. But I'm pretty sure that if it's managed to be run, there would be some feedback to this project. I'll be looking forward how the things evolve at the project's website :)

Cheers and good luck,
Pawel