[Ambassadors] Kids at SCaLE 7x

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 22:36:56 UTC 2009

2009/1/27 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 01:55:15PM -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
>> Here's a conversation I had regarding SCaLE's policy toward bringing children.
>>
>> 13:49 < herlo> I asked a couple days back about kids at scale and
>> pricing or whatever.  I forgot to take #scale-chat of ignore, what is
>> the rules
>>                on children?
>> 13:49 < Gareth> Kids are definitely allowed to attend.
>> 13:50 < herlo> sure, and I think it's encouraged no?
>> 13:50 < Gareth> We generally dont charge for them if they're under 16 or so.
>> 13:50 < Gareth> Definitely!
>> 13:50 < herlo> cool, that's what I was after
>> 13:50 < Gareth> We had quite a few last year....they all seemed to
>> have a good time.
>> 13:50 < herlo> the Fedorans will be sporting a few young'ns around is all
>> 13:50 < Gareth> Good to hear!
>> 13:50 < lcafiero> +1 Gareth
>> 13:50 < herlo> yeah, we have the wii lined up to be used all day if
>> they get bored
>> 13:52 < herlo> I'm sure we'll have other activities for them.  I plan
>> on bringing scissors and some fedora media boxes for them to build
>> 13:52 < lcafiero> Orv_work may want to do something with this,
>> press-wise. Some of the other events -- especially Linux World -- are
>> kid
>>                   unfriendly, and it doesn't allow those of us with
>> kids to attend.
>> 13:52 < herlo> maybe we should also bring some skulladay.com pages
>> too, that'll entertain them
>> 13:52 < Gareth> yeah. he wrote something up last year too...I'm sure
>> he'll write something up this year.
>> 13:53 < herlo> we'll watch for it
>>
>> So this brings to my mind.  What can we do to entertain children at
>> our booth besides the OLPCs?
>>
>> I think that it'd be fun to have kids come around and make stuff at
>> our booth.  There are tons of good things on make.com and other places
>> for kids.
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>
> Firstly, I'm stoked.  OSCON was the first time I really got to
> interact with younger people at an event; the twelve year old Python
> hacker was my favorite discussion on one day.
>
> One idea I had was to line up multiple laptops (XO, I have a T41,
> etc.) and have the girls go through as many games on Linux as they can
> stand.  I could teach them Wesnoth, for example.  I'd like to
> highlight Linux as a kid-friendly OS.  Tux Paint, Tux Typing, etc. are
> also a must.  Heck, we'll play Sudoku now!
>
> I like the media boxes, that will be a hit with my crafty pair.  Let's
> look for some other stuff on make.com, that would be pretty cool.
>
> I suppose ... maybe I should bring my all-in-one printer?  It'd be a
> bit of a pain, but we could put it in our room and have it for
> printing off cool stuff to make.
>
> - Karsten
> --
> Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Community Gardener
> http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
> AD0E0C41

Karsten,

Have you seen skulladay.com?

At Ignite Salt Lake, they had some of these there for people to do, it
was quite fun and challenging.

http://skulladay.blogspot.com/2007/08/72-papercraft-skull-with-articulated.html

I'm sure we could find much more fun things to do like this on make.
I'll keep looking around, but if you all have ideas post them on the
SCaLE 7x planning website:  (I've even made a kid friendly section
near the bottom)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SCALE7X_Event

Cheers,

Clint